Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wobble when braking?

Hi guys

Where should I start looking. When I brake the Surf slows down but for the last few yards there is a wobble through the steering wheel. I am thinking 'tyre pressures', tracking or warped discs. Does anyone know what would cause this? It has just had a brand new MOT so I assume that there is no nasty wear on bushes etc?

Cheers

Rob G

most likely warped disks mate - check them out first.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

There's quite a lot of posts for this type of problem, so if you do a search it may take a while but there'll be plenty of hints etc. My only concern is that its just for the final few yards of braking - if it was discs then you should feel it all the time when braking, possibly getting worse as you slow down.
      Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

good point - didnt read that bit!
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Phorbiuz (or anyone else who has done it)

You changed your discs recently didn't you, any chance of a complete write up with piccies. As I need to change mine.
          "disinclined to acquiesce your proposition - NO"

Comment

steering wobble

Saw web artical that Surfs from 1989 - 1996 have been recalled by Toyota for stering rod replacment due to excessive vibration?(in Japan that is) Contacted Toyota GB They have confirmed this have yet to go to local dealer to try to get the job done.

Comment

try looking at the front brake calipers. Mine did the same and at higher speeds the vibration was significant. Found that front calipers had a few siezed pots. easy to free up by pumping out to their limit and then clean with brake cleaner. Then push in and out till they run smoothly. Also recommend bleeding brakes till it runs clean.

Goodluck
              Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Saw web artical that Surfs from 1989 - 1996 have been recalled by Toyota for stering rod replacment due to excessive vibration?(in Japan that is) Contacted Toyota GB They have confirmed this have yet to go to local dealer to try to get the job done.
                Bump....

Rang my Toyota Dealer in Leeds and they know nothing about this and want supporting evidence.

Anyone recalled their Surf under the above?

Comment

Here is the link to the old thread on the recall

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ghlight=Recall

I have only heard of one instance of this part breaking in Australia and a recall here is unlikely as Toyota Australia don't want anything to do with it.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
                    try looking at the front brake calipers. Mine did the same and at higher speeds the vibration was significant. Found that front calipers had a few siezed pots. easy to free up by pumping out to their limit and then clean with brake cleaner. Then push in and out till they run smoothly. Also recommend bleeding brakes till it runs clean.

Goodluck
                    I can also confirm that a seized front caliper piston will cause significant wobble. That was all that was wrong with mine.

nevillef

Comment

Looks like thats the end of that recall then.

Last edited by deggers; 18 April 2005, 18:10.

Comment

Tyre pressures too!

My steering wobble decreased dramatically after I checked the tyre pressures. Got them on about 35psi all round now and it helps a lot. I have a feeling that a lot of owners run them quite soft, and with a 2 ton truck transferring all of the weight onto the front wheels soft tyres won't help at all, they will just squirm all over the place.

Mind you I have fitted new pads, and had the tracking checked too.

Hope this helps someone

Rob G

Comment

Hello Rob,

I had a similar problem on my '94 3.0 ltr Surf. After having the wheels balanced twice and checking discs etc. I eventually had front and rear wheels switched. This solved the problem and the only conclusion I can come to by way of an explanation, is that the rear tyres were nearly new and the front ones were quite old (dated 1997, the ones that it had on in Japan). If the truck had been stood for long periods and the old tyres had distorted !

Hell, who knows ?

Anyway, before I rolled the truck, I was planning to scrub the old tyres out on the back and replace. Now the problems solved forever !!

Bye for now

Wack

Comment

I am STILL getting wobble !!!

Had front discs and pads changed
                            Had aligment done
                            Had wheels balanced
                            Tried min air (29)
                            Tried max air (35)
                            Tried inbetween (30 & 32)

Still get wobble when braking, help
                            [COLOR=Red][FONT=Century Gothic]the unexamined life is not worth living...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

In that case...

Originally posted by Robb.
                              I am STILL getting wobble !!!

Had front discs and pads changed
                              Had aligment done
                              Had wheels balanced
                              Tried min air (29)
                              Tried max air (35)
                              Tried inbetween (30 & 32)

Still get wobble when braking, help

You should check the wheel bearings
                              and then..
                              All of the steering linkages.

Something is causing it, try the cheapest first, like are the tyres unevenly worn?

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Working...
                              X