Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Front End

Hi

I've had my Gen 3 for a month or so and am hearing some odd transmission noises from the front diff or bearings.

Noise is worst at about 30MPH and seems louder than the engine at that speed.

I'm hearing a rumbling low whine which I originally thaught was a 'truck thing' but I'm now convinced I have a problem as the back axle seems completely silent.

The whine does seem to change a little in tone depending on road surface, ie comes and goes a little if the tarmac is uneven and the car bounces a little.

Its not tyre noise and it really seems to be rumbling up through the transmission.

Any Ideas?

A chorus of dont be daft, all surfs make that noise would make me quite happy... but I've got a sinking feeling that you'll tell me all I should hear is the diesel!

Mike

Could be a wheel bearing or maybe a diff output bearing. Doesn't sound like a CV noise to me. I'd check out the wheel bearings first as these are easiest to change.

Cheers

Comment

Hello

I'd say that it was a front wheel bearing, the noise from a front bearing sounds like a "hollow rumble" and tends to change depending on the road surface, cornering etc.

It can be quite difficult to pinpont but I always try the following.

1st Drive down a straight road and turn the stg wheel slightly left and right (don't overdo this or you could end up on your side) just as if you are moving out to pass a parked car. If its a wheel bearing the noice should change (louder/ quieter) as the wheel moves.

2nd make a left hand then a right hand turn (or go wound a bend that requires some steering input) it should make the noise louder on one turn and quieter on the next It's normally the bearing that on the side that the noise increases (ie Left hand bearing on a left hand turn) (i should mention that I'm thinking of left and right as sitting from the driver seat)

3rd Jack up the fromt of the vehicle & check for play by placing your hand at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions & rock to check for play, there should only be a very small amount.

As a new surfer I don't know weather the front wheel bearings are adjustable, I suspect that like most other 4 wheel drives they arn't

Hope this helps!
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
        As a new surfer I don't know weather the front wheel bearings are adjustable, I suspect that like most other 4 wheel drives they arn't !
        The front bearings are a tapered roller and are adjustable.There should be no end play.

Neville

Comment

Noise

Thanks guys

Will look at the bearings but may drive it over to the dealer first as it was freshly imported for me. Dealer had rad rebuild on his pre sale service to be on the safe side so was obviously pretty trustworthy.

I guess the concensus of opinion is that the transmission should be noiseless on a tarmac road ?

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X