Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-pitched squeal

Hi all

Question from non-techie here. I've recently been getting a high-pitched squeal from transmission area (3.0 auto) when starting engine and for first few miles. It happens on acceleration and disappears when I take my foot off the gas.

It stops completely after a few miles. It seems to happen first thing in the morning or when the engine is cold.

Can anyone help?

fan belt loose or worn?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Its not the mothin-in-law is it? Mine emits a high pitched squeal, but that stops when she gets out.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Normally squeels are belts or alternator bearings IMO

Rich.
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

I had squeal on mine that I thought was coming from below. It turned out to be the power steering pump. Does your steering judder on left or right lock in the first few minutes after starting from cold? I changed the fluid and no more squeek.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Just a thought - my 94 3.0 4-runner had a squwal which the garage blamed on power steering pump. whilst waiting for new one (gulp silly me) 300 miles later cam belt tensioner collapsed and screwed lump big time.

consequntly investigation pointed out gears at bottom (idler thingys) worn and loose causing strain on tensioner.

result - one year with no motor, solicitors fees to sue garage and a big bill to sort lump.

craig

Comment

Working...
            X