Please help ! smoking on tick over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help ! smoking on tick over

Anyone help me, my 3.0ltr diesel on tick over smokes very bad (white/grey smoke) no oil in water or water in oil visable however header tank seems to be boiling, rad doesnt seem perticulay hot if reved this will eventually clear. When driving temp guage seems normal, however it is cold outside at the moment. Would be gratefull of any advice.

thanks

Could be a dodgy headgasket or cracked head, you need to get the cooling system pressure tested.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Try a new thermostat and expansion cap first.

Comment

Thanks you for the advice. I didn't get the advice about the thermastate until recently, in the mean time the head had been removed, cant see any visible cracks and head gasket seems to be o.k. However i don't know and i am wondering if anyone can tell me whether you would see cracks. Obviously i am going to get this tested. For what it is worth i did change the rad cap.

Thanks very much

Comment

Originally posted by mr quick
          Thanks you for the advice. I didn't get the advice about the thermastate until recently, in the mean time the head had been removed, cant see any visible cracks and head gasket seems to be o.k. However i don't know and i am wondering if anyone can tell me whether you would see cracks. Obviously i am going to get this tested. For what it is worth i did change the rad cap.

Thanks very much
          You won't necessarily be able to see the cracks even it has cracked (they can be microscopic pores through the block). As Tony says- only way to be sure is to get a garage to pressure test the block.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
            You won't necessarily be able to see the cracks even it has cracked (they can be microscopic pores through the block). As Tony says- only way to be sure is to get a garage to pressure test the block.

Nevillef
            Yeah, Linda's gasket looked fine, no cracks and clean, but put a new one in and all the troubles disappeared!

Test the head anyway now you've got it off. (Like I didn't )
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

ermmmm, mine does this at this time of year too until the moisture in the exhaust goes. May not be a serious problem.

Rich.
              If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Mine is giving out really black smoke, especially when i put my foot down.
                Does everyone else,s do the same?
                SURFS UP DUDE.

Comment

Just to update you all on the head test. The head came back cracked, so i am in the process of getting another one, i shall have this fitted, a new thermastat and i will have the rad tested. Hopfully that will be the end of my problems.
                  thanks for your help

Comment

Just a quick update to say,after a having a new head fitted i have done about 500 miles and everything seems to be ok.however its does bother me as to what caused it.

THANKS ALOT FOR ADVICE
                    JOHN

Comment

Originally posted by mr quick
                      Just a quick update to say,after a having a new head fitted i have done about 500 miles and everything seems to be ok.however its does bother me as to what caused it.

THANKS ALOT FOR ADVICE
                      JOHN
                      ANY diesel lump can crack if over heated too much. Some engines are easier to damage than others. The 3.0L head seems particularly resilient (over engineered after Toyota's experience with the 2.4L ?). Main thing is to keep the entire cooling system well maintained and in tip-top condition.

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
                      X