Mystery button ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery button ?

I just bought a 92 SSR-X Surf today from a dealer that didn't have a clue about the motor. As a result I`ve had to just play about with it today and discover stuff.

I`ve worked out how to work everything apart from the front spots, which don`t seem to come on, not even with the fog lights on (possibly not wired up) but I have one button which does not seem to have any function that i can work out. Its right below the ignition and seem to have a button to keep it on and also if you push it the other way it would act like a flasher (like the full beam) but if it is lights, it does not seem to work and seems to be in a weird place.

Anyone give me any insight into if this is my missing front spots button or if not, then what is it for ?

Cheers in advance,

Verbs.

Is it for the rear fog light ???
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Nah, the rear fog light is off to the right and higher up.

This is right under where you put your key in the ignition. You can`t actually see the switch without really looking for it. I only found it since i was lookign for the screws that take that panel off so i could put a new speaker in that side.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
        Nah, the rear fog light is off to the right and higher up.

This is right under where you put your key in the ignition. You can`t actually see the switch without really looking for it. I only found it since i was lookign for the screws that take that panel off so i could put a new speaker in that side.

Maybe it's the cloaking device switch.
        sorry!
        From your description it sounds like a light /flasher switch,is ther any wires connected to it?
        Vince

Comment

I`ve not had a chance to check for wires yet, as i only picked it up at midday today, so I`ve been too busy looking over hedges and bouncing over roundabouts.

I`ll give it a good check when i take that panel off to fit the speaker. Its a really weird place to have a light switch, as its hidden and if you have a lot of keys they hang over the switch as well.

I`m not wondering if it is the front spots, the fog light may have to be on as well as this switch before it will work, I`ll need to investigate tommorrow with that extraa hour we get

Comment

Originally posted by Verbal
            I`ve worked out how to work everything apart from the front spots, which don`t seem to come on, not even with the fog lights on (possibly not wired up) but I have one button which does not seem to have any function that i can work out. Its right below the ignition and seem to have a button to keep it on and also if you push it the other way it would act like a flasher (like the full beam) but if it is lights, it does not seem to work and seems to be in a weird place.

Anyone give me any insight into if this is my missing front spots button or if not, then what is it for ?
            My front spots only come on when I put the headlights onto full beam. Maybe yours is the same.
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
              My front spots only come on when I put the headlights onto full beam. Maybe yours is the same.

Tried that, with no joy. It could be a wiring fault, or it could be the mystery button, that puts them on with a combination with the fog lights.

I`ll investigate tommorrow and ge to the bottom of this when I`m fixing my speakers up.

Comment

Button

Is it directley under the ignition and twist slightly...if so then it could be for turning up the idle of your truck when running a winch from outside the truck

Mark

Comment

lights probably disconnected for the SVA test.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell
                    Is it directley under the ignition and twist slightly...if so then it could be for turning up the idle of your truck when running a winch from outside the truck

Mark

I`ve got a separate Idle Up button next to the fog light button.

da SLUG man - The cars been the UK for two yrs alreay, so i thought they would have re-conected them, but I`ll check anywway when i take that panel off, I`m fairly sure that mystery button is for the front spots, so if it is, then its just a case of sorting them.

Cheers for all the help so far, I`ll keep you posted of my findings. I need to strip the speakers from my Volvo before i start anything, so it will probably be nearer then end of the week.

Comment

unknown switch

verbal, could it be that you have cruise control? the switch you describe sounds like a cruise control switch.
                      chris

Comment

Originally posted by drummerboy
                        verbal, could it be that you have cruise control? the switch you describe sounds like a cruise control switch.
                        chris
                        yeah, I just read that other thread about buttons and wondered that too, I`ll check that out tomorrow. If anyone see's a surf slow down rapidly in front of them for no apparent reason tommorrow, they know its just me finding out its not cruise control

If thats the case, would the front spots be fitted to the fog lights or connected via the full beam circuit ?

Comment

buttons and switches

there is a translated handbook available (like an owners handbook) i have found it very useful its no good for the mechanics of us but for us mere mortals,great. It's TOYOTA Surf 88-on. It's available from "Far East SERVICES"
                          Telephone.01322 226060.they are also atwww.imported vehicles .co. uk.they do good quality speedo faces too.
                          chris

Comment

i,ve got same truck as you, my front spot switch is on centre
                            console, behind gearshifter, next to rear leccy window switch.
                            sidelights need to be on before spots operate
                            hope this helps....

CARL....welshsurfer
                            2.4 T.D,s should carry a government health warning

Comment

Originally posted by welshsurfer
                              i,ve got same truck as you, my front spot switch is on centre
                              console, behind gearshifter, next to rear leccy window switch.
                              sidelights need to be on before spots operate
                              hope this helps....

CARL....welshsurfer

I`ve only got the electrics for the back window there.

I`m fairly sure that the mystery button under the ignition is the front spots, they must be disconected though (still need to check that)

The button was not a cruise control button thats for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X