• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Items

HI everyone,
    Just had the MOT done on my 90 LN130 and have failed on the following:

1. Both head lamps out of alignment.
    2. Nearside rear Shock absorber Leaking fluid.
    3. Major gas leak from exhaust.
    4. Emissions test above 3.01 limit.

Firstly, the last certificate runs out on the 21st of October, can i still use it til then?
    The garage said that i would probably have to go to Toyota to get the shocks changed because they are the electronically altered ones. Milners have some gas shock absorbers for £30.00 for my model Surf, Would these be OK? Do Toy need to fit them?
    The gas leak i can probaly putty up, but the emissions is worrying me. They said that it was reading 8.summink which is way over the limit. They suggested getting the fuel injectors reset by a diesel engineer, is this correct. I have read before about plugging the EGR? pipe. I think that one of the glow plugs is playing up would this have any effect if unbrunt fuel was being blown out?

Sorry for all the questions, this is the first MOT test since its import so i'm relatively new to this.

Cheers

Hi m8ty
    To answer some of your questions but I an no expert.
    Head lights the MOT station can ajust these at a small cost

Shocks Milner ones are Ok but you loose the ride control
    I have mine set to stiff all the time anyway,look in for
    sale or ebay for a Surf being broken?

Leak if its major replace that section Milners or Rough Trax

Emissions try a bottle of Red ex or equivalent give it a
    good hard run motorway if pos just before the next test

As far as I know you can still use the vehicle untill the
    MOT runs out

All the best Chris
    GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Glow plugs only work while starting engine, make sure the car is properly warmed up before taking it in, and give it a run up the motorway to clear the soot out, Redex normally works to clean out the motor to fix emissions, but also check your intake hoses arn't full of oil, they often are.

If you can't get the emissions down by giving it the injector cleaner, then try replacing the air and fuel filter and a general service, after that you may need the injectors/pump looking at. but its normally just coked up, and the Redex and blast down the road clears it out.

I may have a used shock kicking around if you can get up here, can't vouch for how good it is, but it doesn't leak.

And the MOT is good till it runs out, but doesn't mean the car is roadworthy anyway, and its no defence for getting done for bad emissions or other spotchecks at the roadside, even if it was MOTed that morning, you'll still get done, so don't worry about it.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
      X