Oil Contamination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Contamination

can anyone help! i've bought a "93" 2.4td auto,after a couple of days the rad split,got it repaired &pressure tested.one week later,started leaking.replaced with a brand new one.that split after 300 kms.the head had been replaced by the previous owner at a cost of £1541.00 @C&A 4x4 of colne.not supposed to crack again once replaced? So had the head gasket replaced,new rad etc...O.K for 2,4000mls,now finding oil mixed with coolant,engine oil needs topping up as level is dropping slowly.flushed system out,changed coolant.O.k for a couple of days,now showing oil again in expansion bottle.My surf starts and runs great apart from this.Tempted to change the Head,But it would be a waste of money,if its something else. thanks.

If the previous owner replaced the head with a reconditioned one then the head may still fail.

However from what you said the problem appeared after the head gasket was done????

If so take it back and get them to do it again as if you didn't have the problem before then it is something they have done.

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

I had oil in my coolant after the head was replaced. Thought it may have been a damaged gasket. Took it back, and the mechanic flushed the coolant, problem solved.

His explination was that when the head is removed oil goes every where and prob ended up in the coolant channels.

I've had no probs since, so guess that was it.

SInce having the rad replaced and head changed, no real probs (except a big air lock), and she's running well (just a tad smokey, but I can live with that!).

Once the intial probs are over come, and you start doing the regular maintenance, it gets a lot easier!

Hope it goes well.
      I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

oil contamination

yeah it was a new head, cost the guy £750.00.all my hoses have a coating of sludge on the inside,i think i'll change all the hoses & give it a proper flushing out & see how that goes...its a brilliant vehicle other than that. Does anyone know if you can buy a ready made hose kit,or do you have to mess about trying to match them up from the likes of halfords.Thanks for your info on my problem.

Comment

Try www.milneroffroad.com yours will be the LN130 Engine if the parts arent listed phone them up, They deliver so you dont have to trek over there.
          Also if you need a good Mechanic to do any Engine work STEVO is based in Stockport & he knows the 2.4 like the back of his hand.
          Last edited by marky; 12 October 2004, 15:04.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            Try www.milneroffroad.com yours will be the LN130 Engine if the parts arent listed phone them up, They deliver so you dont have to trek over there.
            Also if you need a good Mechanic to do any Engine work STEVO is based in Stockport & he knows the 2.4 like the back of his hand.
            just clean them with a bottle brush and some household detergent. (posh word for fairy!)
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
            X