2.4 Head Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Head Problems

It would appear from reading the posts that I may have the legendary head problem with my 93 2.4 SSR-X. It has not overheated but is putting water into the expansion bottle. I have changed the cap and thermostat. Does the head need replacing, if so where to get the best one, I live in Liverpool so if anyone knows a good honest mechanic I would be grateful for the details. Thanks Kev.

Originally posted by Kev Makin
    It would appear from reading the posts that I may have the legendary head problem with my 93 2.4 SSR-X. It has not overheated but is putting water into the expansion bottle. I have changed the cap and thermostat. Does the head need replacing, if so where to get the best one, I live in Liverpool so if anyone knows a good honest mechanic I would be grateful for the details. Thanks Kev.

It should put some water into the expansion bottle, as the engine gets hot water temp rises and expands into bottle. Engine cools and it gets sucked back in to system.
    Unless your is pumping so much in its over flowing, may be an air lock,duff stat or rad cap.
    Stat and rad cap are cheap options to relace first only a few quid in cost, only sure way is to get a pressure test done.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Makin
      KEV our very own SURF ENGINE GURU is based in Stockport. STEVO knows these engines inside out, i will send you his no by private message.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Modified Surf 2.4 TD Auto Ln130 head required. 1993 K

Hi, had my Surf a year and the head has gone - I'm also looking for the modified Surf 2.4 TD Auto Ln130 head 1993 K.

Replaced Head now jeep on road again and for sale.
        Last edited by emc2jkd1; 16 May 2008, 07:05.

Comment

Originally posted by emc2jkd1
          Hi, had my Surf a year and the head has gone - I'm also looking for the modified Surf 2.4 TD Auto Ln130 head 1993 K.

Can Stevo or someone get back to me with a price for the bits required and also a price for them to do the job.

Eric
          all details for Stevo are on his website here
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html
          You can ring him up and he will explain all you need to know over the phone.he knows his stuff when it comes to these trucks
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for the info youre a star.

Comment

Aussie Surf thread

Here's a thread on the Aussie Surf forum that may assist in preventing future problems with overheating. The thread begins with modifying the stock temperature gauge so that it actually works (it was sabotaged at the factory). After fellows fixed their gauges and could see the real temperatures, they then discuss how to stabilise the temperature.

If you own a Surf - this is a must read.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...=14717&start=0

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd
                The thread begins with modifying the stock temperature gauge so that it actually works (it was sabotaged at the factory).
                Sabotaged is a slightly strong description. The reasoning behind the dead zone is actually quite understandable. Whilst it may have been prudent to make the higher end of the dead zone a lower temperature, the simple reason they did it is that the gauge holds static whilst the engine is within acceptable operating temps, and only starts to indicate otherwise when it is reaching a dangerous temperature. What one has to remember with these things is that they are now in the hands of a lot of offroad enthusiasts. Originally, however, the Surfs were in a domestic market. Most of the people using them would have either:

1) Not cared as to how accurate their gauge was as they wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do anyhow.

2) Gone into a blind panic at the first hint of the needle touching red.

Why they did it is completely understandable. It's easy enough to alter it, or add an aftermarket gauge for someone who does actually want, (or need), an accurate temp reading.

Comment

As mattf says I think at times we forget that surfs and most of todays 4X4 are meant for road driving mainly and off roading secondly if you want it the other way around get a bowler wildcat or if you really want to cruise through the mud a john deere tractor
                  www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

head is gone

Hi I'm a new on forum..but i have similar problem I bouhgt a 93 SSr-X from auction, replaced whole barrel and lock set, battery. I've add a little bit of coolant turn on for a few minutes engine run smoothly I've try to drive a little bit and stuck on 4wd high. I couldn't move a stick to parking so I've decide to turn off the engine, after that i've put on neutral position between 4L and 4H then sudenly i can to move my stic to parking. Very happy i just turn on the engine ..and white smoke... Cylinder head was cracked between valves on 3rd and 4th cylinder. Thermostat was in good condition, tha same water pump and radiator, viscous fan seems to me pretty tight. Head gasket was blown on 4th. This engine has only 153K Km. I'm wonder what kind of head should I buy? What's mean modified? Heh for me modified should be a new cast, but those what I found it's only remachined or rebuilid. Where can I buy in good price whole head, bolts etc.

cheers
                    andy
                    Andy

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html

Comment

had my 93' 2.4 ssr-x 6 months. about 8 weeks ago top nearside radiator hose came off (overtaking on mway s**t myself) was water and steam everywhere had no problems before this no overheating nothing. thought must be t-stat changed it and ran ok til about 3 weeks ago when another explosion rocked my engine compartment just before lost power while over tking again on m-way this time bottom rad hose had blown itself apart had to be towed home by rac. changed hose and tried to start her up water was trying to burst from every hose and thick black smoke and oil was spewing out of exhaust removed head and could see two cracks through cyl head top of pots 2 and 3 anyway have got a new head but as i cant seem to find a manual anywhere does anyone know the head bolt torque settings and the camshaft bolt settings thank jason oh and as a reply to the above id say it probably does

Comment

Originally posted by dirty fingernails

had my 93' 2.4 ssr-x 6 months. about 8 weeks ago top nearside radiator hose came off (overtaking on mway s**t myself) was water and steam everywhere had no problems before this no overheating nothing. thought must be t-stat changed it and ran ok til about 3 weeks ago when another explosion rocked my engine compartment just before lost power while over tking again on m-way this time bottom rad hose had blown itself apart had to be towed home by rac. changed hose and tried to start her up water was trying to burst from every hose and thick black smoke and oil was spewing out of exhaust removed head and could see two cracks through cyl head top of pots 2 and 3 anyway have got a new head but as i cant seem to find a manual anywhere does anyone know the head bolt torque settings and the camshaft bolt settings thank jason oh and as a reply to the above id say it probably does

give me an email so I will send U a *.pdf file with engin reb manu
                          Andy

Comment

Working...
                          X