Draining my Diesel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining my Diesel Tank

Have the guard off from under my tank and was thinking draining it to get any possible gunk out of there after 14 years. Is there a specific procedure for this to avoid airlocks etc. Anyone done this? Thought it might be a good idea before i change my fuel filter.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Derek

All I would suggest is to LIGHTLY clamp the pipes to and from engine to prevent the diesel running out pipes and letting in to much air in system . You will not prevent air getting into pipes but this would reduce the ammount . Before start up it may pay to pump the primer on the top of fuel filter and bleed out the air from the pipes . may take a while but you need to get as much air out as possible before it reaches the pump .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cheers Rick!
      Only 1 reply! I bet if i was a f£&*ing newbie i'd have about 20 replies by now!
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
        Cheers Rick!
        heres another reply then, use another container to store the diesel you drain out the tank .

Would be interesting to see how much c**p you get out the tank.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Aw, shucks!
          Thanks!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

drain the fuel tank

I did mine, before it was going to empty ,one line on the fuel indicator.I done it at the gasoline station. Then I full the tank.and replaced the fuel filter w/ fuel inside and start the engine and pump the the fuel pump and then bleed the 4 injector.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
              Cheers Rick!
              But Del, you're climbing to the top of the modifications tree, we can't help you now, that would be cheating

I've never removed a tank from a Diesel vehicle (altough I have removed several petrol tanks accidentially filled with Diesel by various idiots over the years).
              Airlocking is not generally such a problem on petrols as on derv, I reckon Ricks advice pretty much sums it up, no major precautions bar trying to keep fuel in the main lines.
              When refitting the tank the same applys as when changing your fuel filter, check and double check each joint for security, apart from the obvious threat of leaks, any possiblity of air ingress and you could end up pumping your primer pump for a week with no succcess.
              Actually I have removed a derv tank, just remembered, on a Hino tractor unit, problems with sealing on one of the main filters gave us no end of trouble afterwards
              So there's my advice, clean and double check all fittings/connections when refitting the tank to avoid air leaks into the lines.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

sorry Delboy if this is a bit of a hijack but im about to do the fuel filter on mine and these talks of airlocks have got me bricking it a bit now - never had to service a diesel before but had my head under (and sometimes trapped under! ) many a petrol vehicle from preludes to my 30 y/o landy lightweight. i know it used to be a pain in the arse when the diesel transit van at work ever ran out of diesel - not just a case of 'top it up and go!' - anyway - my question is do i need to follow any special procedures whilst changing the fuel filter other than remove/replace in reverse/prime and away you go!??

hijack over - everyone remain calm!

take care

Chris

Comment

No, that sounds right. Did mine a month or so back and just replaced the filter, primed it and away it went, no problems at all.
                  Mike G

Comment

If youre talking the tank out anyway...................

Quote:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8232

Cheers

Most Surf fuel tanks are way past their best anyway so you ought to think about lining yours while its out and this is excellent stuff to do it with.

Comment

Working...
                    X