Power steering shuddering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering shuddering

My power steering on 93 2.4 is shuddering and noisy when making slow turns like for parking. After I hit five or ten mph it works fine. No noise and could turn it with one finger. Any suggestions?

Belt loose, low fluid ?

Comment

Fluid looks ok. Getting a service on Wednesday so they should check the belt for me.

Comment

check belt but also crank pulley and balancer. balancers are known to fail and will come loose, grap etc. also crank pulley bolts can come loose and will cause a shudder through the power steering (i actually had that).

Comment

Another thing to check is the main mounting bolt for the pump. The one that the pump pivots on. Then can come loose and if this happens, they may break.

Nev.

Comment

Check your steering damper as well, mine was screeching recently when turning right and felt like the steering wheel was locking / jamming in position. Turned out to be the steering damper that had collapsed internally.
            Once replaced with a nice shiny new one from RT, all was ok again.

Comment

Thanks I will start my investigations with all the info. What is RT by the way?

Comment

See here http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/

14+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks guys. Belt is super loose. Got into rough trax with a decent sized shopping list.

Comment

Working...
                  X