any advice... cracks, lots of 'em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any advice... cracks, lots of 'em

Hello, just had the news that 'the block's cracked' from a mechanic, this would normaly be unfortunate in it's self, but after paying £400 to the afore mentioned, for sorting the head gasget -which was the first diagnosis.
    So was just wondering if anyone knew of the best place to get a new lump from? and just for peace of mind... if any of you would recon that a cracked block would be an easy thing to spot with the head off?

new lump

there was a recent thread on here about a full lump on e-bay, not that long ago... see if you can find it - mayb a search wud work... good luck.!

Comment

Originally posted by steff jones
      Hello, just had the news that 'the block's cracked' from a mechanic, this would normaly be unfortunate in it's self, but after paying £400 to the afore mentioned, for sorting the head gasget -which was the first diagnosis.
      So was just wondering if anyone knew of the best place to get a new lump from? and just for peace of mind... if any of you would recon that a cracked block would be an easy thing to spot with the head off?
      a cracked head is one thing, but a cracked block?! does your mechanic mean the head and not the block?. a cracked head is sometimes obvious to the eye, sometimes not.
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
        a cracked head is one thing, but a cracked block?! does your mechanic mean the head and not the block?. a cracked head is sometimes obvious to the eye, sometimes not.
        If its the head, milners or UK cylinder heads get NEW not recon, stitched etc
        I would say if your mechanic made a wrong diagnosis then the £400 should come of the bill for what ever work is next.
        Must say in 98% of cases its never the head gasket alone, head goes as well!!!!!!
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

STEFF you'd best speak to our SURF MECHANIC based in Stockport. STEVE might be able to help you out on this one. We are very lucky up here in the Nortwest as the majority of garages wont touch the SURF. Send me a private
          message & i will forward his details if you need them. STEVE is cheap reliable & wont fill you with bull.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

crack in head and block..

Sorry I neglected to mention that the head was cracked too! (in six places) the mechanic sent it off for a preasure test but it came back ok? So I thought all would be well, then after re-asembly it was discoverd that there was water getting into the bores, so he said it must be a cracked block! I'm not sure of the best way to sort it, should I get a new engine or just a block? and where from? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Comment

Sorry I neglected to mention that the head was cracked too! (in six places) the mechanic sent it off for a preasure test but it came back ok? So I thought all would be well, then after re-asembly it was discoverd that there was water getting into the bores, so he said it must be a cracked block! I'm not sure of the best way to sort it, should I get a new engine or just a block? and where from? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

To be honest I would go for a new (ish) engine, if the head and block are cracked its not worth the hassle. With a new engine you will still have all your other parts as spares.
              Complete engine on ebay at the moment.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

STEFF you have a Private Message
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Steff, correct me if i have read your post wrong but you say the head had 6 cracks in it but pressure tested ok????? did this mechanic bolt it back on???? if he did shoot him, raid his till to get your money back, buy a NEW head and get someone reliable to fit it. If i have misunderstood forget the above!!! I would be very suprised if the block has cracked, search the forum for a thread on it and you will probably discover how rare an occurence this is!!
                  I am amazed that someone would refit a head with six visible cracks, find another mechanic fast.
                  Hope you get it sorted soon!!
                  If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
                  I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf
                    Steff, correct me if i have read your post wrong but you say the head had 6 cracks in it but pressure tested ok????? did this mechanic bolt it back on???? if he did shoot him, raid his till to get your money back, buy a NEW head and get someone reliable to fit it. If i have misunderstood forget the above!!! I would be very suprised if the block has cracked, search the forum for a thread on it and you will probably discover how rare an occurence this is!!
                    I am amazed that someone would refit a head with six visible cracks, find another mechanic fast.
                    Hope you get it sorted soon!!
                    Good, it wan't just me then.....

Seems a bit supect to me, do as Smurf says and get another mechanic to look at it.
                    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

its All In Hand Chaps Stevo Is Looking At It
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Cheers people, I thought it sounded wrong, I shall have a word with the grease monkey, now I have a good idea he was probably full of cobblers! And will get steve's advice.

Thanks again.

Steff

Comment

Working...
                        X