Rear ARB Air lockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear ARB Air lockers

Hi all, I'm considering going the route of ARB air lockers and the more and more research I do... the more I realize it's probably over my head to start ripping apart the rear and then discover 10 different times that I'm missing 10 different tools.

So I contacted a local company that specializes in Toyotas and they gave me this quote.

Considering the state of the Canadian dollar (low), it doesn't seem like I can get an air locker any cheaper even if I ordered through the US. What I gathered on the phone from him, is that they will fit a 4.88 rear end with the air locker and set it up for me, so that all I have to do it pull my current differential, install this one and then plumb the air system in. I figured even doing it myself will cost me around $2000 by the time I factor in more tools, driving, etc... not to mention I'll be working outside, which sucks when it'll still be in the minus degrees C for the next couple months.

Is this something that a novice can do given the patience? My biggest concern is that I break something that ends up costing me even more money... I did my crank and cam shaft seals and timing belt and tensioners a couple years ago and even though it took me a week of working every evening, it went okay. Another concern about taking apart the diff is that I haven't found any videos of toyota differentials, or detailed forum posts.
    Last edited by Monolithic; 6 March 2015, 18:52.

Get yourself a spare back axle. That way you can work on it inside (kitchen table), still use your truck and take your time. Not worked on a diff myself, but I bet it's difficult to break anything. swap axles when the weather improves.

Comment

Is this to do with the rear diff knock you had ??? what was that???
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

first thing is find out which diff you have. they come with two different diffs, 4 spider "v6" diff and a 2 spider "4cyl" diff. diesels usually come with v6 diff but not always in the 2.8 powered ones.

then browse this http://www.gearinstalls.com/index1.htm site to see what your in for.

Comment

Working...
        X