another front mounted intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another front mounted intercooler

Here’s another front mounted intercooler install for those planning to do the same. After reading all the threads about top mount v front mount, we opted for front as we did not want a body lift, we do not do any off roading, and we had already removed all the air con and EGR nonsense.

We got hold of a transit 2.5 DI intercooler, and plumbed it all in using 2¼ inch pipe (57mm). We had to rotate the delivery chamber of the turbo, and fabricate brackets to support the intercooler and to support the wastegate actuator. We also had to cut two holes through the bulkhead at the side of the radiator for the hoses. There were already holes in these locations, it was just a matter of enlarging them. We had to remove the auxiliary fan and make some minor adjustments to the back face of the grill.

The difference is staggering. It begs the question, why did Toyota never do this in the first place? The pick up is improved right from the off, the engine is much smoother, and revs higher as well. Turbo lag is not noticeable, and it accelerates up hills.

Not sure if the photos are going to post though.

nice

tho how did you do the bracket that holds the bottom of the bonnet latch?

Comment

we removed the existing support and made a frame to support the intercooler. Another piece of angle was welded across the top to carry the bonnet latch. The frame picks up on existing tapped holes in the body.

Comment

Comment

I like it!

Ive still got my air conditioning present,

Still racking my brain where to potentially fit

I have no bash plate so thinking that is a good location although quite exposed

Comment

air con rad do come factory fitted above the bash plate. just make a nice strong bash plate with decent screened vents.

Comment

Looks good.. cleaner than my top mounted will be I think. Can't wait for the rest of my bits to be delivered and finish mine!

Comment

James, I think the air con radiator fills the voids between chassis rails, we looked at this before, no room to get the pipes past. Even after removing the air con, the power steering pump and pipes were in the way, couldn't get a 2 1/4 inch pipe past that. Ended up putting the gearbox oil cooler there instead.

Lostscot, thanks for your comments. I've looked at your install. Make sure there is enough flexibility in the pipework between the engine and intercooler, as this appears to be bolted rigidly to the body. The engine does move side to side, particularly while cranking.

Neil

Comment

Yeah. I did consider mounting it up to the engine, but figured it would make a mess of the bonnet and whatever hole I cut in it. I was thinking to use rubber spacers on my brackets. I'm totally happy to rethink this though if I need to

Comment

Working...
                  X