Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 sensors on stat housing

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the third sensor is for on the thermostat housing is for on a 2.4td ln130. I've read plenty of posts that state there is a sensor for the electric fans and one for the temperature gauge. what would the third one be for?

I was hoping to find a hole to put in a sensor for an aftermarket temperature sensor.

cheers

Some Surfs up to the 8/'90 had a water level sender. Not aware of any that had the temp gauge, thermo fan switch and this on as well though.
    Is it wired up? Got a pic?

Nev.

Comment

This is mine from an LN130W, only two sensors....where is the third one you have located?
      Attached Files

Comment

I have attached two photos. the first is a front view. you can see one sensor at the front and one to the right. the second photo is looking at the side where you can see the right sensor I mentioned above and another sensor. Nev on looking at the front of the radiator I see there is no thermofan. just a fan that looks like a airconditioning fan. Can you tell me what each sensor does?

Would any of them be able to be disconnected to put an aftermarket temperature gauge on?

Cheers
        Attached Files

Comment

I guess it is the front sensor with the green wire that doesn't show on that other photo posted.

Comment

What month and year is your Surf? Model and Frame number would be good? Auto or Manual?

Side one should be Temperature Gauge. Front should be Thermo Fan (air con fan) and maybe the other is the Coolant Level Sender. If you unplug this one and start engine do you get any warning light?

Manuals usually have two. One at front for Thermo Fan and side for Gauge. Autos usually also have two. At side for gauge and in the position of your mistery sensor for the Thermo Fan with a plug in the front position.

Nev.

Comment

My surf is a manual 1991 2.4td LN130 2l-te.

so the middle side sensor with the big plastic plug on it is the temperature gauge sensor? and the one on the side furtherest back is for the thermo fan?

And im assuming the front one with the green wire is the mystery sensor? Is this usually the plugged up spare hole that people talk about on 2.4s?

Comment

Nope. Green wire is Thermo Fan Switch. Passenger side should be Temperatuure Gauge. Mystery sensor is the one in centre.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev

Have you any idea what it would be for?

where is the blocked hole on the 2.4 stat housing that people generally mention that it is possible to put a aftermarket temp sensor in?

cheers

Comment

The blocked hole is usually only found on autos. Autos have the extra hole where your mystery sensor is and usually has the Thermo fan switch there whereas the manuals without this extra hole have it at the front.

As I said before, the extra may be a coolant level switch. To confirm the others are gauge and thermo fan just test them. Remove gauge plug and temp gauge should not work. Remove what I think is thermo fan switch plug and with engine running and air con on the thermo fan should start.

Nev.

Comment

ok thanks nev,

I might just have to put an in-line temperature sensor in the top radiator hose.

Am i correct in thinking the adaptor should be 32mm in diameter?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by xfman87 View Post
                        Yes.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by xfman87 View Post
                          ok thanks nev,

I might just have to put an in-line temperature sensor in the top radiator hose.

Cheers
                          bugger that. that puts the sensor on the wrong side of the thermostat.

why not just unscrew the factory temp gauge sensor and fit the aftermarket setup in its place. i find once you have decent gauge you never look at the factory one again.

i put mine in the air con switch position as i have removed the air con. but in hind sight i should have just used the factory temp location.

i did see in some epc that some models did come with a water level gauge.
                          mates townace van we just got going has it, shows on the dash as a radiator shape symbol.

Comment

Working...
                          X