Timing belt replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt replacement

Hi I'm trying to replace my timing belt and I'm having trouble getting the crankshaft pulley off to then get to the timing belt cover. In the picture do I. Need to undo that big nut in the middle 19mm I've tried heating it up and tried undoing it both ways but it won't budge. Is it supposed to come out roam I missing something.
    Attached Files

Do NOT use heat. You may bugger the harmonic balancer. It's bonded together with rubber. There's also a seal on the crankshaft. One way is with a socket on the bolt, with a breaker bar and piece of pipe on the passenger side chassis. Quickly turn the key to start and switch off immediately. This will crack the bolt. Not recommended for the faint hearted.

The other way is make up something to bolt to the centre of the harmonic balancer, with a centre hole big enough for the socket and two other 8mm holes to suit the centre spacing of the holes for the pulleys and use that as a lever.

Also use centre holes to remove the harmonic balancer and not your regular gear puller with legs.

Nev.

Comment

it comes out allright, get a big trolley jack and a nice semi soft block of wood, jack the wood up on to the pulley nice and tight so the pulley presses into the wood and grips it, don't need to go too crazy, just till the body gives a gentle rise or the engine tips back, and crack your stud pulling from right to left, a long breaker bar or extended pipe will certaintly help,

Comment

I like that one! put a socket and breaker on it and start her up! id have a go at that one!

Comment

Ok thanks guys, ill try the jack way first if that don't get it then maybe starting her up but that's a last resort for me I think. Which way does it undo, is it anti clockwise like most things or is it left hand threaded?

Cheers
          Pete

Comment

Don't try the jack way.

If you have balls, do what Nev suggested with the starter. If you're a fierty, bolt something to the harmonic balancer to stop it turning, then undo the centre bolt.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Don't try the jack way.

If you have balls, do what Nev suggested with the starter. If you're a fierty, bolt something to the harmonic balancer to stop it turning, then undo the centre bolt.
              As Albannach says ....

The starter way is commonly used in the trade too (I have a mate at BMW does it often on MINI's), it's quick and works.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle_rs View Post
                I like that one! put a socket and breaker on it and start her up! id have a go at that one!
                I didn't say start it. Do not do that. Ignition on and off very quickly only.

Nev.

Comment

Hi Guys thanks for all the advice, managed to get the bolt out. I took the Alternator adjuster arm off and bolted that to the pulley and the other end to the AC adjuster pulley bracket which then held the crankshaft in place allowing me to then undo the crankshaft nut.

Comment

Working...
                  X