Head Blown???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Blown???

My fault I know, but the pin head hole in the rad got a lot bigger yesterday (sub zero temps), subsequently the 2.4 Overheated in a major way! Before, getting RAC to lift it home, I filled the cooling system back up with water. There appeared to be a fair bit of water coming out somewhere on kerb side of the engine when I guess the rad was about 3/4 full. Sadly it was dark and I couldn't really see where it was coming from. I am guessing the Head??

Has anyone cracked a block on a surf or is it normally the Head?

To add to the injury the new Rad turns up today from Roughtrax.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Oh yeah, the engine does still start, if that makes any difference.

Don't really do blocks only heads. It's also uncommon for the head to leak externally. It's more likely that the pressure blew a joint or pipe somewhere. When you can, in light, start it up and do the best you can to find the leak.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Cheers Muddle, I will have a look tomorrow (foot of snow forecast permitting!), the new rad has been delivered so I will stick it on and have a go. I am guessing the give away for a blown head would be, milky oil etc, loss of power etc?

Comment

Usually loss of coolant and pressure in the cooling system followed by white smoke from the exhaust.

Comment

there's a thread showing how to make a cooling system pressure tester.

I made mine using a bike pump & adapter.find an old tyre valve & screw on to adapter.
          remove expansion bottle tube (leave it connected to rad cap end) & connect to pump.

only takes a couple of pumps to build sufficient pressure.

water leak should be easy to see

Comment

Well eventually, we have replaced the rad, refilled with coolant, allowed time to let the air out(24 Hours with rad cap off). Re-started the engine, seemed to be a fair bit of water coming out of the exhaust, although it has been very cold. Having run the engine for a few minutes, I shut it off. Rag in hand removed the rad cap which blew off with great pressure. When running water/air etc. was blowing back out of the coolant bottle, so its all pointing to a cracked head IMO.

Best advice on what to replace, I am guessing the complete head from roughtrax(gaskets and bolts), new cambelt, water pump, anything else worth replacing whilst I am grubbing about in the engine bay??
            Last edited by caemadoc; 22 January 2013, 20:24.

Comment

Fuel pump seals perhaps?
              Front crank seal also?
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Woodruff keys also.

Comment

Working...
                X