Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water For Engine

Hi,
    I have an '87 Surf with a '92 Engine which seems to be using a lot of water from the reservoir. Is this normal? I have filled it up at the engine filler cap aswell. Any Ideas?
    Jack

something wrong there! any white smoke coming out the exhaust?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

white smoke Only on startup, not an excessive amount though. how long does a full reservoir normally last?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HIGH-LUX
        white smoke Only on startup, not an excessive amount though. how long does a full reservoir normally last?
        Thanks

Your not filling the reservoir up to the very top are you ?????????

Comment

you only need a couple of inches in it, there is a mark near bottom
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            you only need a couple of inches in it, there is a mark near bottom
            ooh er missus, saucy

*edit* sorry thread deflection there (but a wisecrack is something i cant resist) , how bout squeezing your top hose to move airlocks causing overheating...
            Last edited by JimL; 7 October 2003, 22:01.

Comment

No, I fill it just up to the max level. is there any point filling the filler neck attatched to the engine?
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HIGH-LUX
                No, I fill it just up to the max level. is there any point filling the filler neck attatched to the engine?
                Thanks

You may have an airlock, with the engine cold, open both front and rear heaters to hot setting. Take rad cap off and check level fill to the top if needed, check expansion bottle level.
                Start up motor for a couple of minutes giving it a couple of blips of throttle.
                Turn off and gently release the cap again, shouldn't be any pressure yet
                as it shouldn't have got hot yet. Check level and fill again if needed, do this four or five times until it won't take any more water.
                Take it for a spin for a couple of miles then park up and wait for engine to cool down then check levels again.

If you have pressure when removing the cap after running for a couple of minutes when cold then could be sign of head, gasket or stat problems. As a temporary measure if you have is to take the stat out to eliminate that.

Check water pump area for leak also.
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Working...
                X