yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine b******ed, could use some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine b******ed, could use some advice...

Yep, me again. Sorry for the perpetual thread-making. This time I really am out of my depth with the Hilux.

So, my obituary for the Black Beast may have been premature; my mum's willing to have the engine replaced/refurbished if it'll put the Hilux back on the road. However, I don't know how to go about this.

Has anyone ever bought one of these refurbished engines (part-exchange deals) I've seen on eBay, for example? If so, are they trustworthy, a gamble, just-plain-don't-do-it? Otherwise, what are my options given the issues:

-Valve collision due to currently unknown fault, suspected slipped timing belt or sheared pulley keys, no compression so all valves, head and possibly pistons probably damaged
    -Oil leak from sump gasket
    -Coolant leak from somewhere
    -Automatic transmission fluid leak from engine-gearbox joint

Whatever happens, my mum needs a car by the end of the week, so all help greatly appreciated

Cheers,
    Gargravarr
    An unmuddy off-roader is an unloved off-roader!

If you've only got the rest of this week, then I would buy a cheap run around for the same cost as buying/fitting a replacement engine would be, then either sell the Surf as is or break it for parts.

Buying a second hand 2.4 engine is a bit of a gamble really (IMHO) unless you can see and hear it running previously.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but it's probably the most realistic/cost effective solution.

Comment

Unless your hands on yourself, then it will be costly. Sounds like the belt has lost a few teeth? Have you stripped the thing down? If not, just try a new belt first. I have done a few car's with stripped teeth on belt and have been fine once the belt has been replaced. Either way, fitting new valves and head gasket ain't too much hard ship for anyone hands on. Plus, you know your engine you have! Personally I would fix it, but I am lucky being a mechanic, it can be a head bust if your not and just stress you more. Tough call really
      What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Break it. My engine is trashed, I should have broke it up before shelling out £1000 in parts. I have to see it through now, I will be happy when its fixed but I really should have just cut my losses while I could.

Comment

Hi, I was thinking that in UK you can get a 2LT surf for next to nothing, why would you bother with a 2nd hand engine and all the costs and trouble? Unless your surf has a lot of nice mods and gadgets...but in that case maybe you could transfer them onto the new surf...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X