Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Drain issue

Hi guys

Bit of an update, i bought my surf a few months ago a non-runner, since then i bought a new battery and hooked up the electrics or drivers side battery so the alarm would work. i left it for two weeks as it was and no issues still didnt run but no drain on power. Last friday and saturday we changed the glow plugs, filters, oils and put a second brand new battery in the passenger side turned it on left it to run drove it around the bloke just to get her moving. Left her last saturday morning all good. Had a new key cut today so popped over to check it worked and nothing no alarm, central locking or starting etc.

Has anyone experienced this before or do you know what the cause could possibly be???

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i was trying to sort an mot out for her!!

Cheers all
    Sy

I am new to the Surf scene but one thing i found was my earth leads were loose at there body mountings, maybe fitting the battery(s) has disturbed an already bad connection(s).

I found i needed both batterys to start (due to the high number of cca's required to start a diesel) but only one battery to test electrics (didn't matter which battery).

Comment

I could answer your query and probably point you in the right direction as to where the drain is coming from, but twice you've asked if anyone has a standard steering wheel for sale, twice I have answered you and twice you've ignored me.

p.s. Exactly how big was the bloke you drove it 'round?!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        I could answer your query and probably point you in the right direction as to where the drain is coming from, but twice you've asked if anyone has a standard steering wheel for sale, twice I have answered you and twice you've ignored me.

Hi mate

Sorry if I've missed the steering wheel reply Must have missed it in the email. The bloke was the size of about 20 houses lol typing error!!!

Any help would be appreciated but I would understand if you choose not to inform me.

Sy

Comment

Originally posted by Tokyo drift View Post
          I am new to the Surf scene but one thing i found was my earth leads were loose at there body mountings, maybe fitting the battery(s) has disturbed an already bad connection(s).

I found i needed both batterys to start (due to the high number of cca's required to start a diesel) but only one battery to test electrics (didn't matter which battery).

Cheers buddy I will look into it

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Sorry to be a pain matey I did ask on one of the posts if you had a pic and how much you wanted but I genuinely didn't see a second one mate but again sorry for replying to it

Comment

Originally posted by sy281184 View Post
              Hi guys

Bit of an update, i bought my surf a few months ago a non-runner, since then i bought a new battery and hooked up the electrics or drivers side battery so the alarm would work. i left it for two weeks as it was and no issues still didnt run but no drain on power. Last friday and saturday we changed the glow plugs, filters, oils and put a second brand new battery in the passenger side turned it on left it to run drove it around the bloke just to get her moving. Left her last saturday morning all good. Had a new key cut today so popped over to check it worked and nothing no alarm, central locking or starting etc.

Has anyone experienced this before or do you know what the cause could possibly be???

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i was trying to sort an mot out for her!!

Cheers all
              Sy
              order a house servicing car electrician. They have a device to see amp rates of your battery and also amp rate and drain of your alternator.

But it seems that if your batt's keep getting drained then there must be:
              1. short/grounded wire
              2. blown fuse
              3. ALTERNATOR needs replacing (it's a simple replacement should not cost so much.) Or if you're handy and capable with an auto. Then slowly detach the alternator and bring it to the autosupply shop for sample comparison. Or Since you're in EU/UK check out www.roughtrax4x4.com.

Also you may want to go to "youtube" and check "eric the car guy" very practical and informative.

Comment

Originally posted by mj1226 View Post
                order a house servicing car electrician. They have a device to see amp rates of your battery and also amp rate and drain of your alternator.

But it seems that if your batt's keep getting drained then there must be:
                1. short/grounded wire
                2. blown fuse
                3. ALTERNATOR needs replacing (it's a simple replacement should not cost so much.) Or if you're handy and capable with an auto. Then slowly detach the alternator and bring it to the autosupply shop for sample comparison. Or Since you're in EU/UK check out www.roughtrax4x4.com.

Also you may want to go to "youtube" and check "eric the car guy" very practical and informative.
                Cheers mate thank you very much

Comment

You are welcome!

****it's been a month now. So how is your recharging and battery health going?

I hope you were also able to check out YouTube, "Eric The Car Guy". Tons of helpful stuff.

Comment

hi guys

finally got the batteries sorted and recharged and fully checked by the shop, over the next couple of weeks i will get back to the Surf and get them back in to be able to do the checks on it, i have been told i need to check a couple of fuses first and if that doesnt work then to check the alternator and i will also look at YouTube.

Cheers for the help guys
                    Much appreciated
                    Sy

Comment

Originally posted by Tokyo drift View Post

this is interesting. what size (CCA) are the batteries you have currently fitted?

the recommendations for the surf at two batteries of a CCA 720 amps.

given that the starter only needs 2.7 kw. plus perhaps 12 watts per glow plug thats 2700 + 576 watts.

dividing that by voltage gives the amps required to start the truck (as watts is equal to amps times volts)

batteries are in parallel so its a 12 volt systems.

(576+ 2700) % 12 = 273amps.

Therefore if you need both to start the truck you must be running incredibly small batteries with too small a researve capacity. this too would account for them going dead in short order. the alternator would be working double shifts too trying to keep them topped up.

when i bought my truck she had a new 560cca battery and an old indeterminate one. every so often she wouldn't start. if it was cold the chances are you had two cranking attempts and batteries dead. therefore RC too small.

recently fitted a halfords 334 720cca in combination with a bosch 010 and shes fine. (except for an alternator regulator issue thats getting sorted with a new alternator)

id recomend the halfords 334 and 335 (mirros image terminals) or an equvalent 720 cca battery ...
                      Last edited by Hesh; 16 November 2012, 12:04.

Comment

what he said :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X