1996 2.4d ln105r steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 2.4d ln105r steering box

Hey not been on here for a while as the truck is perfect. But my mates has been in accident and the front drivers side is bad. We have managed to repair a lot of it with new parts. But there is one thing we are struggling with.

The steering box. Not being able to replace it with nice shiny new one we need a second hand one.

At first the problem was not being able to turn to the right so after looking I suspected the drop arm had slipped on the splines. But this wasnt it, the arm from drop arm to wheel has been modded because of the lift and it has threads cut either end to make it adjustable for the lift. Not done by us but brought this way.

So after taking the steering box off and trying to get the splines apart with no avail even with a press and heat, we found the problem and put it all back together, now however we have a leak from the splines so need a new box. Did look into seal kits but not being able to get the arm off without serious damage to the splines I cant see a kit working.

So need another if anyone is breaking one or knows of anything.

Ok this is bugging me now no matter where I look there doesn't seem to be any of these types of boxes about, they are all three bolt hole boxes and the pipes are in the wrong place, the truck is ow off the road due to this as it can't be driven with spewing oil everywhere.

So I'm guessing no one knows where I can get one from at all?

Comment

Originally posted by rich2484 View Post
      .........there doesn't seem to be any of these types of boxes about, they are all three bolt hole boxes and the pipes are in the wrong place.........

Sounds like the steering box you have isn't a standard Hilux item. Could be from another vehicle because of the lift? Nissan and RangRover steering boxes have four bolt holes so it could be one of those.

Got any photos of it?

Comment

Sorry I havnt it's in the shop for the respray at the moment, it is exactly the same one as on Milner but I won't get the surcharge back as I'm going to have to cut it to get the arm off.

Not going to pay nearly 300 quid for a new one that's for sure.

Anyone got an exploded diagram of it so I can see if I can get it apart to replace the seals with the arm still on it?

Comment

Could you just cut the arm off instead on buggering up the box?
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Well this is the next stage if I can't do anything else with it. But I don't want to knacker the arm if I can get a replacement box. I would rather get a replacement box and cut the splined shaft off then drill out an cut out from the arm.

Comment

Surely a new arm and a seal kit is the way to go ?
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

The problem with a new seal kit is the arm has been heated with gas torch.

Would this have done damage to anything making the seal kit not work?

Comment

Working...
                X