So, how bad (or good) are they???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how bad (or good) are they???

Hi, new here having been directed here by a Surf owning workmate.
    Picked up my 1992 2.4 TD Surf last Friday from Kent and drove it the 250 miles home to Swansea. As I reversed it into my drive it started smoking, steaming and overflowing from the expansion tank . Obviously taking it back to Kent from Swansea isn't an option so I had it picked up and taken to a local garage. The head (not just the gasket) and cylinders 2 & 4 have failed, porous??, the guy I bought it off has agreed to pay for the repairs so no problem there. Everyone I talk to tells me it's common, how often is common?
    How can I prevent this happening again?

Hi,
    The problem with the heads is well debated on this site, do a search and you'll find many topics on it.
    It seems like about 20% of 2.4 heads have had some sort of problem.
    I think that it was a manufacturing defect of some sort.
    If you have the head replaced, make sure you get a brand new head and not a reconditioned one. There are no problems with the new ones so you can enjoy many miles of happy motoring safe in the knowledge that it aint going to let you down.

Andy.

Comment

Mine did almost the same thing. It went pop in the first week. Luckily my dealer is only down the road, but 16 months on no problems at all, and I have done around 38000 miles since then on and offroad.

So as long as it gets a NEW head, stat and rad cap, it'll be fine.
      I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

List of new parts he's going to fit so far: -

Cylinder head
        Liners from cylinders 2 & 4
        Water pump (just in case)
        Radiator
        Cambelt
        Thermostat
        Gaskets and seals (obviously)
        Injectors and heater plugs being tested

May be more parts when he strips the engine fully tomorrow, hoping to get it back by next weekend......
        Thanks for your help and reassurances

Comment

Originally posted by dazzo23
          List of new parts he's going to fit so far: -

Cylinder head
          Liners from cylinders 2 & 4
          Water pump (just in case)
          Radiator
          Cambelt
          Thermostat
          Gaskets and seals (obviously)
          Injectors and heater plugs being tested

May be more parts when he strips the engine fully tomorrow, hoping to get it back by next weekend......
          Thanks for your help and reassurances
          While it's in bits, it's worth getting the radiator flow checked, and the viscous fan fluid replaced. You know then that your rebuilt engine is being cooled properly. Also while it's stripped down that far, is it not worth lining all 4 cylinders rather than just 2?? Had mine done back in february, see here,
          http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...ht=engine+pics
          Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
            Also while it's stripped down that far, is it not worth lining all 4 cylinders rather than just 2?? Had mine done back in february
            Pete
            You're probably right and I've a feeling that's what willl happen but the mechanic was talking about 2 & 4 being the ones gone so assumed those were the only ones he was going to replace.. doh!

Comment

It's back........

Just got the Surf back this morning, extensive (& expensive!) amount of work, for those interested here's what was done: -

£20 for him to recover it from my house

Cylinder head (new)
              Full gasket set
              Liners x 2
              Pistons & rings x 2
              Main bearings
              Head bolts
              Injector nozzles x 4
              Water pump
              Timing belt
              Fan belts x 3
              Thermostat
              Radiator
              Coolant pressure cap
              Parts total £1432

£700 to remove, strip, rebuild and fit engine

Plus VAT

Total of £2529

Haven't had the chance to drive it far yet but hopefully all SHOULD be ok now
              Last edited by dazzo23; 8 September 2004, 15:05.

Comment

You need to go out and play as soon as you can. Makes you lose confidence having something so serious happen so quickly and at first you can't take your eyes off the temp gauge. It will come back and it is great fun and a fab motor.... enjoy
                Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Working...
                X