Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud screech at start up

Hi All,

Me and my problems... this one's turning out to be a friggin dud i tell ya.

`91 2.4l turbo diesel SSR-X

Got in it last night after work and it started fine, then died for like 1 second then came back to life and i drove home.
    Really weird as i have never experienced that before in a car - it felt like it had a quick heart attack.

This morning - no go.
    Tried to start it and a REALLY SUPER loud screeching noise came out of the engine bay.
    It wouldn't crank over or even try, just this super loud noise that no doubt woke everybody up in my court.

Any advice? im shit scared this is major....
    4yrs and 2 surfs later...

starter motor?
    www.apmautos.com

Comment

im not sure...

i guess the sound is coming from something the belts drive that doesnt want to turn....

it horrible.

Comment

If it's not cranking over, it can't be a belt.

The only thing it can be is something electrical and the only, moving, electrical thing that's used when the engine is (or is trying to) cranking; is the starter.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

i gave it a bit of time last night and noticed it tried to turn over the slightest bit, figured it must be a fuel/air issue and pumped the accelerator pedal several times until it cranked over.

a lot of black and white smoke came out for a minute so i cleaned out the airbox and sensor - all going well since then.

may have been a fuel block somewhere - i'll investigate the fuel lines this weekend

Comment

Coolant leaking into one or more cylinder bores from a cracked head can cause this. Engine nearly hydro-locks. Pressure in the cooling system forces coolant into the bores whist engine is stopped. Next time the engine is stopped for any length of time with the effected cylinder on its compression stroke it'll probably do it again. Unless the water level in the system drops below the level of the head.

Comment

im not losing any coolant and it doesnt over heat or anything...

i have noticed however, that i get the odd drip coming out of the coolant cap - i thought it may be the shit seal from the 20y/o original jap spec cap so i changed it to a new one, it still does it occasionally - too much pressure?

maybe i can just take the cap off overnight from now on?

Comment

If you do have a fine crack developing, depressurising the cooling system by taking the cap off will make it easier to start next time. Very much a temporary measure though.

Comment

You got the cranking done so there's no problem on your starter.

If its a loud ear-cracking screeching noise.

You might want to check your fan belt's tensions and most importantly the bearings.

These have to be detached and checked for play or haults that causes the screeching noise bec its due to the belts pulling on the pulleys/bearings but the pulleys/bearings are not moving or are on a very limited revolution.

Comment

Working...
                  X