Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First "Help" request, nothing major

Hi all,

Got my first Surf last week as some of you have read, and pretty much all is good.

One front fog light needs a bulb which I can cope with, central locking locks but doesn't unlock all the doors (I found a previous thread so can have a go at that) and the electric mirrors don't work (again, found a previous thread so all is good).

My question for any one with much more know-how than me is about the fuel gauge. On my other cars they always returned to show empty when the vehicle was turned off however the Surf doesn't. I want to mod it if possible so that it does show empty when turned off. My theory is if there is any scumbag tea-leafs looking for a ride they are more likely to nick something that they know definately has go-go juice than bugger around trying to nick one only to find when they start it that they will get to the end of the street before they are walking again

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Leaky Surf

Originally posted by Mark7081 View Post
    Hi all,

Got my first Surf last week as some of you have read, and pretty much all is good.

One front fog light needs a bulb which I can cope with, central locking locks but doesn't unlock all the doors (I found a previous thread so can have a go at that) and the electric mirrors don't work (again, found a previous thread so all is good).

My question for any one with much more know-how than me is about the fuel gauge. On my other cars they always returned to show empty when the vehicle was turned off however the Surf doesn't. I want to mod it if possible so that it does show empty when turned off. My theory is if there is any scumbag tea-leafs looking for a ride they are more likely to nick something that they know definately has go-go juice than bugger around trying to nick one only to find when they start it that they will get to the end of the street before they are walking again

dont think this is possible TBh, most jap vehicles do this. the easiest way would be remove the one in there and fit an aftermarket one which would look gash.

(gaffa tape over it?)
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Just stick a 2.4 badge on the back, that would deter 99% of car thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7081 View Post
        Hi all,

Since most vehicles show empty when turned off, I suspect most tea-leaves don't pay the slightest attention to the fuel gauge when looking for a car what to nick.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Just stick a 2.4 badge on the back, that would deter 99% of car thieves.
          oh no you didn't!!!!!!!
          well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Thanks, some interesting thoughts.

Bushwhaker, having the 2.4 badge on the back is listed as "Hilux Surf Security Equipment" in the Owners Manual, comes as standard on this model
            Leaky Surf

Comment

I assume there is a constant reading as there is a constant current? Would a switch in the loom work? However, Somewhere in the back of my head i think you have to have the ignition on to change the reading ie after refueling. So you'd need an 'empty' reading you could switch to whilst ignition on. Maybe.
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

My '01 3rd gen's fuel gauge registers empty with ignition off, but my '96 truck's doesn't.

I'll have a scan of my wiring diagrams CD and see what the differences are.

Comment

Working...
                X