Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on startup

Hi All

Just to clear up any confusion do I need to wait for the beeping noise to sound before starting or can I just wait for the glow plug light to go out to start the engine?

After having checked my glowplugs I seem to recall that the glowplug light and the beeper have nothing to do with the actual time of heating. Some one will be able to tell you the voltages but if you have the radio/heater fan off you can hear a click after around 5 seconds (depending on the temp of the engine) then the voltage drops to around 6v for 10 seconds. It seems a long time to leave it but it does make a difference.
    That's not counting to 10, I timed it.
    All the best

Comment

oookkkkkkk...........So am I looking at the Glow Plug light or listening out for the bleep or the click after 5 seconds? I always thought you waited for the glow plug light to go out then your ok to start engine, however when i bought the surf the bloke said i need to wait for the bleeping noise before starting

Comment

When the glow plug light goes out, its ready to start, providing
        everything is working correctly.
        Still on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazcam View Post
          When the glow plug light goes out, its ready to start, providing everything is working correctly.
          Sorry, but on a Surf, that is not correct. Ignore the light, totally.

on a 2.4 Surf, the 'ignition on' buzzer and the glow plug relay have roughly the same length of timer, so the buzzer should stop, just as the relay clicks.

Anyway, switch the ignition on, wait about 25 seconds and, all being well, the truck will start.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Sorry, but on a Surf, that is not correct. Ignore the light, totally.

on a 2.4 Surf, the 'ignition on' buzzer and the glow plug relay have roughly the same length of timer, so the buzzer should stop, just as the relay clicks.

Anyway, switch the ignition on, wait about 25 seconds and, all being well, the truck will start.
            I was under the impression that the glow plug light goes out when the
            plugs are up to max temp, wich should only take a couple of seconds.

The relay or timer remains on for a good few seconds longer, keeping the
            plugs up to temp whilst cranking.

When the relay or timer turns off the feed to the plugs (relay clicks),
            the plugs will cool down rapidly, unless the engines running when the feed
            switchs to 6v to aid smooth running for the first few seconds.

If the glow plug light goes out and you have been cranking the engine
            for 10 seconds without starting, you should switch off and try again.

This is how I understand glow plug systems work, at least thats what I
            was taught.
            Still on a mission.

Comment

The light is just a rough indicator, on any normally running truck it's good enough to just start it when the light goes out.

If its really cold give it a couple of cycles.

It really dosn't need to be that complicated.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ok cool........so the bleeping then is like the last chance to get it started before they cool down or is the bleeping for something completeyly different?

Comment

Originally posted by chris1bev View Post
                  Ok cool........so the bleeping then is like the last chance to get it started before they cool down or is the bleeping for something completeyly different?
                  Is your truck reluctant to start from cold/left overnight/sub zero temps?
                  Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

A little bit, i do need to use the extra revs button, admittadly i haven't tryed doing the glow plug light twice yet
                    Last edited by chris1bev; 5 February 2012, 16:41.

Comment

Originally posted by chris1bev View Post
                      or is the bleeping for something completeyly different?
                      Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      Yes, yes it is.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

:d:

Comment

When you start the engine does it turn over quickly or does it turn over slowly?
                          Do you know what condition the battery/batteries are in?
                          If the batteries are in a poor condition then it will be slow to start,especially at the moment the engine will suck a lot of the initial compression energy away from the starting process this coupled with the drain placed on the batteries due to the cold will make matters worse.

As a matter of interest my truck has been stuck outside for over a week now not being used and last night on the kebab run she fired up first turn
                          If you still have issues or need help I could possibly have a look and give you some pointers
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I dont think there are any problems, I've never had a problem with it not starting.....just wanted to know whether to wait for the bleeping noise or when the light goes out before starting. However the interest is much appreciated :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X