X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Rebuild Time?

Ok ready for the ramble.

LN130

After carrying out the coolant bleed/filler mod a while back I have now noticed a "slight" oil misting in the inlet manifold area ,traced the misting to be coming from the short rubber hose connecting onto the inlet manifold.

Obviously I will need to replace the inlet hose .

The main question is where this oil would be coming from?

As far as I can work out it is either a problem with the engine breather or an issue with the oil seals in the turbo,or is their a further option C ?

I am assuming the engine breather will be a case of pulling the hose off and ensuring it is not all coked up .

Turbo oil seals?
    If the turbo oil seals are failing/failed how hard a task will it be to replace the turbo oil seals.Is their any advantage in replacing the turbo oil seals against fitting a "newer" or even a different more efficient turbo.

As always comments ,suggestions ,opinions always welcomed.

Cheers
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Turbo seals dump oil in the exhaust, making lots of blue/white smoke.

Crankcase pressure is just that, pressure in the crankcase from either worn piston rings or worn valve guides or seals.

They are always oily in the intake, if its not breathing enough oil to smoke its probably not worth worrying about. The only cure is a engine rebuild, new valve guides means head off.

Valve seals you can do with head on if you're really clever, but you need special tools and luck.

Check the breather isn't blocked, but I'd guess its just general engine wear and has plenty of life left in it yet.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Are oil catch tanks worth fitting in the breather to help with this or are they just gimmicks?
      Last edited by dazandcaz; 26 January 2012, 22:48.
      Non consternationes.

Comment

Only if its breathing enough oil to have a smokey exhaust, a bit of oil in the intake isn't a bad thing, it lubricates the valve guides and seats.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony

Not only have you just saved me £70 for the rebuild kit as my paranoid fingers were hovering over the "BUY" button,but you have put my doubts to bed.
          I most definitely owe you a pint or two.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

my turbo leaks oil. when i first start her up and drive her she blows out a bit of blue smoke, but once shes hot she runs clear. she does seem to lack in power so i think shes not boosting right so i think a seals kit might be in order or a reckon turbo. i also get oil all through my intake system but doesn't seem to affect the running of the engine

Comment

Originally posted by toyboata View Post
              my turbo leaks oil. when i first start her up and drive her she blows out a bit of blue smoke, but once shes hot she runs clear.
              That's not the Turbo, that's either valve stems, valve stem seals or piston rings.

Smoking turbos smoke all the time.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

is that something i need to be worried about?

Comment

Originally posted by toyboata View Post
                  is that something i need to be worried about?
                  It's going to get worse over time, but if it's only a puff at start up, I'd leave it. Your MOT monkey might not like it though...
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                  X