yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Oil all gone... radiator/transmission cooler fault?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Oil all gone... radiator/transmission cooler fault?

Hi Guys,

I bought a '93 LN130 2.4TD surf approx 6 months ago.
    When i got it first it would only start after 2 attempts and there was a bit of smoke when starting from cold.
    We advanced the diesel pump and this prob was somewhat rectified, it's still a bit smokey when starting from cold.
    There was a wobble in the steering when driving over about 80kph.
    Tightening the wheel bearings completely solved this problem.

Anyways, we have done a few bits and bobs to get her running a bit smoother.
    Last Friday i was approx 1km from work when i noticed the gears were not changin correctly. Within 1 km there was no gear changing at all... i pulled her in and looked underneath to see all the gear oil had drained out on to the ground and it looked to be coming from up near the rad/cooler.

I've ordered a new rad but it won't be until this evening that i will be able to have a good look to see where the prob is exactly.
    It needed a new rad so i'm hoping that that is the problem!
    Failing that i'm hoping that it is just that one of the pipes going from the transmission cooler back has burst.

I will let ye know how i get on after this evening and will hopefully have some more definitive descriptions of the problem.

Any advice appreciated!

The ATF hose has probably burst on the driver's side of the radiator.
    Maybe order some of this too?.......
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-8-10mm-Rubbe...74546152759024

Comment

Excellent!
      I picked up 2m of 6, 8 &10 mm yesterday too... fingers crossed you're right

Comment

check on how to check atf level properly too.

Comment

Update:

We removed the guard and air con unit and hey presto.... little section of 10mm hose pipe had leaked... so we replaced that and put in almost 2 gallons of ATF and she drives once more!

I love this machine.
          Going to change out the radiator this evening.
          Probably going to have to check over all the hose pipes in the engine... it looked like the leak in the ATF hose pipe had been spotted before and just taped over! Darn.

Ah well... will see how she runs over the next week or so anyway.

Comment

hiya mate, which atf are you using? seen on here use dextron 111, halfords dont do it, but the local spareworld sells this . is this ok? sorry for jacking your thread mate

cheers

Comment

Dextron 2 or 3 dosn't matter. If you read you A/T dipstick or power steering tank lid it'll actually say 2, but alot of places only sell type 3 these days.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                Dextron 2 or 3 dosn't matter. If you read you A/T dipstick or power steering tank lid it'll actually say 2, but alot of places only sell type 3 these days.

nice one mukker

Comment

OP - Your starting problem is your glow plugs. Don't fanny about with pump settings.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by angloabroad View Post
                    hiya mate, which atf are you using? seen on here use dextron 111, halfords dont do it, but the local spareworld sells this . is this ok? sorry for jacking your thread mate

cheers
                    Hey thanks. Just checked and it's that brand alright.... says it's for TII/TIV/WS??

Hope this is ok... no mention of Dextron.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      OP - Your starting problem is your glow plugs. Don't fanny about with pump settings.
                      Ok, thanks for that... will look into getting some then... roughtrax website seems really great for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ceolaire View Post
                        Ok, thanks for that... will look into getting some then... roughtrax website seems really great for parts.
                        Roughtrax are excellent for parts, always check with Toyota too, often they are as cheap, if not cheaper.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          Roughtrax are excellent for parts, always check with Toyota too, often they are as cheap, if not cheaper.
                          Hiya, just wondering when you say to check with Toyota, would you have any idea where in Ireland i should go to check their prices or what official Toyota site to look for which may ship here?

Thanks.

Comment

So now my Surf is finding it hard to get into the next gear, especially top gear on the motorway so i'm hoping that the ATF was the correct kind... as it never said Dextron II or III on it... it just said Toyota T-II/T-IV/ WS

So maybe i need to go back with the ATF and put in the correct one or the diesel pump needs re-"fannying" about with....

In any case... 2 new AVON 265 70R15's are gonna cost €215 altogether... €285 or so for tax for 3 months..... lots o money on steering gear and bushings....
                            NCT this month.....

Oh HAPPY DAYS.... I love this machine.

Comment

Working...
                            X