Cheap turbo boost............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap turbo boost............

Been reading alot of info on the Aust Surf site about a quick and easy way of upping turbo boost. Did a search on this site and found a lot of pros and cons. Has anyone added these washers to the wastegate and if so is your engine still in one piece? I would like to try it but await your replies.
    Cheers..............muncher

Originally posted by muncher
    Been reading alot of info on the Aust Surf site about a quick and easy way of upping turbo boost. Did a search on this site and found a lot of pros and cons. Has anyone added these washers to the wastegate and if so is your engine still in one piece? I would like to try it but await your replies.
    Yes I've done it, then engine is still in one piece and it certainly gave me a bit more low end grunt - can't say that the Surf is that quick at getting out of junctions but it is not as slow as it was. Mind you I was a bit conservative with the washers and only used about 2mm of packing.

Cheers

Comment

Mate i have had a look at the wastegate on mine and it has a metal pipe welded to it. Is yours the same?

Comment

This is what it should look like. However mine has a metal pipe welded to the plate.[IMG]http://[/IMG]
        Attached Files

Comment

This is what it should look like. However mine has a metal pipe welded to the plate.[IMG]http://[/IMG]
          Just had a look at mine, it's just like the picture.

Cheers

Comment

. Did a search on this site and found a lot of pros and cons. Has anyone added these washers to the wastegate and if so is your engine still in one piece?
            I did it a long time ago and have never looked back, well you cant really see much behind the Grey Ghost "manouvering under smoke" anyway

One point is make sure you have a Boost Gauge fitted so you know what is going on

I am currently running 9.5 lb boost
            Simon.O.
            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Simono any ideas as to why i have a metal pipe welded to the plate? Because of this i can't take the plate off to add the washers. My Surf is a 93 K plate 2nd Gen. The engine looks realy clean, just like it was a new one. i always thought that for a vehicle of this age, the engine looked only 3 yrs old. So do you think it is possible it has had a later spec engine fitted hence the subtle differences like the before mentioned pipe?
              Cheers ...................muncher

Comment

I have 2.4 turbo with electronic pump cdontrol. I put 1.5mm washers behind wastegate bracket. Engine seems to pull better with no problems so far.
                This was done to try to get rid of black or dark grey smoke when engine is cold. This smoke goes when the engine is hot. Takes about 30 minute to warm up though.

Comment

i tried this on my 2.4 2nd gen and found the fuel consumption was worse thn normal

Comment

Originally posted by brian567
                    i tried this on my 2.4 2nd gen and found the fuel consumption was worse thn normal
                    My fuel consumption is considerably worse, but then you don't get extra performance for nothing generally.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X