loosing water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loosing water

every morning i have to top up my water level in my radiator it dose not over heat but this morning when i got to work my top hose has caved in when i let it cool down and undo therad cap it poped back out and then filled it back up to come home it has had a new cap its doing my head in top hose was red hot bottom hose was warm help

The top hose getting sucked in means the cap is duff or the overflow hose is blocked. As the motor cools the coolant contracts so it needs to suck coolant back from the expansion tank, if it csn't do this the hoses collapse in on themselves.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Mine had a very minute pinhole along the top of the rad for a couple o' years n did as you describe ... I just topped it up regularly n eventually got round to soldering the rad n no more topping up or probs !!

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        The top hose getting sucked in means the cap is duff or the overflow hose is blocked. As the motor cools the coolant contracts so it needs to suck coolant back from the expansion tank, if it csn't do this the hoses collapse in on themselves.
        its a brandnew radiator cap from roughtrax about 3 weeks ago were is the overflow hose

Comment

Could be a faulty one, or blocked. Check the hose from the rad to the expansion tank, if rad seal has ever been used the hose can get plugged. Just pull it off the rad cap fitting and blow down it to make sure it's clear. Also check the short overflow pipe in the expansion tank cap.

There must be a vacuum being created as the motor cools down to make the hose collapse, if the return valve in the cap is working then you shouldn't get a vacuum, so cap and connection to expansion tank and it's breather are number one suspects, even if new, double check it.

Comment

Originally posted by brute View Post
            top hose was red hot bottom hose was warm help
            Maybe a blocked rad or pump on it's way out thats causing the initial fault aswell as cap/expansion hose problem.
            Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by brute View Post
              top hose was red hot bottom hose was warm help
              That's probably something to do with a big radiator removing heat from your coolant! If you want to put red hot coolant back in the engine you'd better get rid of the rad....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                That's probably something to do with a big radiator removing heat from your coolant! If you want to put red hot coolant back in the engine you'd better get rid of the rad....

Okay, i shall remain quiet in the corner(just thought it would be a little more than warm though, my sprouty farts are warm)
                Non consternationes.

Comment

Working...
                X