loosing water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loosing water

Hi yet another question. The water level keeps going down in the bit with the radiator cap top. The cylinder head aparently has been done by previous owner and the garage I took it too said that it looks like its been apart I've had the garage take a look a few times and they cant find the leak. The engine doesn't seem to be overheating as the temperature gauge needle sits in the middle and doesn't go any higher. It starts first flick of the key with no clouds of smoke/steam and runs well. The only answer the garage has come up with is there could be a crack in the cylinder head but the cooling system isn't pressurising. Its really puzzling. Does anyone know if there is a common problem with water loss from anywhere.
    Many Thanks Tom

Change the filler cap and thermostat. Check the system isn't air locked. Monitor the level in the expansion bottle. Never remove the filler cap unless the engine is stone cold.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Check your carpets to see if they are wet.
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Check the rear heater. Mine leaked so is now in the bin. Best place for it. A simple cooling system pressure test should find the leak.

Nev

Comment

I checked mine by rigging up a simple pressure tester using a push bike pump and gauge and a old syringe bottle adapter cone.

Leaks found on most of the coolant hoses in the engine bay(well at least on all the ones still using the wound wire type hose clamp) and considering they have held for about twenty years,slowly replacing with worm drive clips.
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

water leak

happenened to me after new head, and thought i had a problem, but it sorted its self out with constant top ups and about 3 goes at burping the system and changing cap and stat. all is fine now also AFTER MARKET TEMP GAUGE NOW
            good luck

Comment

Thanks for the replies will try and see if changing the cap and thermostat works along with checking the rear heater.
              Thanks Tom

Comment

Working...
              X