Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Morning,

Please excuse my ignorance but my mechanic and I are scratching our heads.

My beloved Surf became victim to a cracked head about 18 months ago. A recommended mechanic came and stripped the engine and established that the head was indeed cracked. Anyway to cut a long story short the Surf has been sat in my barn since then. I recently bought another head etc and tried to contact the mechanic to start the rebuild. Problem is he has since moved and cannot be contacted. I have managed to find another mechanic who was prepared to undertake the work. He was faced with a stack of parts etc and has started. He was doing really well but is struggling to identify one of the pipes as he can't work out where it should attach to.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the table of "bits" that it should attach to.

Can anyone please give us a clue?

I have attached a couple of pics.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

Cheers

Ian
    Attached Files

That's one of the oil pipes (return I think) for the turbo, it connects underneath the turbo.

I think you can actually see where it connects to in your first picture, I see a stud below the oval cover in the turbo bearing area.
    Last edited by Albannach; 30 November 2011, 12:43.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      That's one of the oil pipes (return I think) for the turbo, it connects underneath the turbo.

I think you can actually see where it connects to in your first picture, I see a stud below the oval cover in the turbo bearing area.
      Concur and it's a bitch to put back on, you need quad jointed fingers to do it!
      Life is not a dress rehearsal
      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
      (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

That's it! I can see it now!

The wonders of t'internet!

Thanks guys

Comment

Me again!
          Pete the Tart was right! It was a bitch put back on but we finally got there.
          So the big day came and after a bit of fiddling about started the rebuilt engine up. Lovely to here that familiar engine again.
          HOWEVER........... first trip out. After about 300 metres the "dreaded" orange engine check light came on together with a significant loss of power. So I limped back home with the smile completely wiped off my face. My first thought was that it might be something to do with the "botched up" fan sensor switch that I had earthed out in order to stop the fans running. After spending God knows how much I thought I would wait until I found a secondhand one. I thought that £75 + VAT seemed a bit excessive considering that the gauge temp switch was under £15.00. After a bit of reading I decided that this was unlikely to be the reason for the engine check light to come on.
          Then I discovered sitting amoungst odds and ends on the workbench a metal gasket (photo attached). I have a feeling that this is from the turbo oil return pipe discussed earlier in this thread. Can anyone confirm this?
          Also, could this be responsible for the engine check light situation?
          Any suggestions gratefully received as I am now getting increasingly frustrated particularly as we have been stranded at home (in France) by snow for the past week and the Hilux would have been the perfect vehicle to get me out of the house where I am getting cabin fever.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by beans6677; 10 February 2012, 10:22.

Comment

Can't be for the turbo oil lines as there are two pipes, an inlet and outlet. Got me stumped as to what is is right now.

Nev

Comment

Got it. EGR pipe to exhaust manifold gasket. Must be getting old, took three minutes to figure that one out.

Nev

Comment

A diagnostic check may help work out what is wrong.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729

Nev

Comment

Thanks for that Nev. In your opinion could the lack of this gasket be responsible for the warning light coming on?

Comment

Originally posted by beans6677 View Post
                    Thanks for that Nev. In your opinion could the lack of this gasket be responsible for the warning light coming on?
                    No. You might have an exhaust leak though.

Do the diagnostic check.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                    X