1st gen head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gen head

Hi folks, will be stripping my 1st gen this weekend as i'm pretty sure the head is fooked, just wondering where the best reliable place is to buy one for my 2.4td?

Cheers
    Greg

Your looking for a 2LT head then .... A lot on here use Stevo or roughtrax , cheaper are available but buy at your risk.

Before you do have you checked the coolant for exhaust gasses? Did it over heat?

You had best replace the front crank seal and water pump as well whilst you have it apart .
    Last edited by BioHazard; 1 November 2011, 22:00.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply mate! I burst the rad on a tree branch when off roading and temp hit 100 deg, i had the rad repaired and its blew bubbles in expansion tank since, tried it with thermostat out and it makes it worse as it just blows coolant out and overflows the tank :-(
      I have no smoke and oil is clean, engine runs sweet with plenty of power. Have blead it several times but still having probs so its time to strip it down lol

How much am i looking at paying for a head from stevo?

Greg

Comment

TBH i don't know he was one of the site sponsors. From my experience sadly a previous owner put a cheap one on mine, it works but leaks oil badly. So looking at putting a non efi 3 litre lump in from a uk 4 runner.(need more power)
        There is a thread on that on here as it was done to Sumo's truck and i know Jotto was involved

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/member.php?u=78
        Last edited by BioHazard; 1 November 2011, 22:19.

Comment

There are some manuals here that are down loadable that may help as well

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php?dcid=17

Comment

Are all the 2.4 heads the same? Just had a look on roughtrax site and dont show a head for a 1988 only 89 on?

Greg

Comment

Your best bet is to talk to Barry at roughtrax as he does more than is on the site , the engine is from a mk2 pickup and is a 2lt(2.4 turbo) Although i have found slight differences between the 88 and 89 engines , i might be wrong but i think the uprated head is from a 2.8(engine code 3L)

Comment

Thanks mate, i will strip it down this weekend and see what i find and give them a call.

Cheers

Greg

Comment

1st generation will have a roller rocker head which can't be replaced with the 3L head because it is a bucket and shim type. The two engines are totally different. The earlier heads are less prone to cracking, so you may just need a head gasket. Look in the Roughtrax Hilux Pickup section for the gasket. Don't know if Roughtrax can supply the head for the earlier engines.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    1st generation will have a roller rocker head which can't be replaced with the 3L head because it is a bucket and shim type. The two engines are totally different. The earlier heads are less prone to cracking, so you may just need a head gasket. Look in the Roughtrax Hilux Pickup section for the gasket. Don't know if Roughtrax can supply the head for the earlier engines.

Nev
                    Well hoping this is the case, i will send it off for pressure testing first i think.
                    One other thing that springs to mind, i need a windscreen for my mot this month aswell, anyone know if autoglass do a windscreen for a 1st gen? Lol

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gregmilne234 View Post
                      Well hoping this is the case, i will send it off for pressure testing first i think.
                      One other thing that springs to mind, i need a windscreen for my mot this month aswell, anyone know if autoglass do a windscreen for a 1st gen? Lol

Greg
                      Well I got the head off today, dont see any obvious cracks so fingers crossed, just need to get it tested now, the head is iron, very heavy lol. Also noticed a lot of pitting on the #2 bore which doesnt look good :-(

Comment

After checking the new gasket against the block and head i've noticed that it blocks some of the waterways on the inlet side of the engine, the old gasket is like this too, is this normal or could it be the wrong gasket? Just want to check before i build it up tomoz

Cheers

Comment

day all do dat.

Its normal.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                            day all do dat.

Its normal.
                            Cheers mate!

Comment

Got head back on today and all seems good, no pressure or bubbles in expansion tank, woo hoo!

Comment

Working...
                              X