Slow Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Starting

Every morning my Surf is getting slower and slower to start. I bypassed the fuel filter to see if that was faulty, it was still slow to start next morning. I've fitted a few non return valves to the pipes to stop fuel leaking back and its still playing up. I've checked the glow plugs and their working fine, power up for 10 seconds +. Does anyone know any tests I can run through to isolate the problem. During the day it starts fine

hi
    where have you fitted these non return valves? I'm having fueling problems as well at the mo, my fuel keeps draining back to the tank.
    have you any pictures for where you have put the valves?

cheers

Comment

I fitted them to the intake on the fuel filter. Hasnt work though. Hubby seems to think my fuel injector pump may be bust, but I dont know a way to test it. Also as its seems to start ok when warm I dont think it it that! Grrrr ###### Surfs. Great when they work but a shit to work on!

Comment

Battery/ies good?

We'll be holidaying in Tenby at the begining of June if you need any help.

Comment

Originally posted by toyboata View Post
          hi
          where have you fitted these non return valves? I'm having fueling problems as well at the mo, my fuel keeps draining back to the tank.
          have you any pictures for where you have put the valves?

cheers
          If ya parked on a slope (facing uphill) try the opposite way round..to confirm ya Primmer pump is "US" n (not draining back) n as Vince says make sure ya Batteries are up !!
          Good Luck
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Battery/ies good?

We'll be holidaying in Tenby at the begining of June if you need any help.
            That'd be great thanks Bushwhacker, but we're off on hols end may for half term. I've just orders new fuel filter and diesel cleaner to see if the injectors are clogging up. If that makes it start a little better I'll send them off to be cleaned.

ps Both batteries are new and are turning over engine fine even though it can take 3 or 4 attempts to start it in the morning.

Comment

Diesel cleaner and new filter didnt work so I dont think its injectors. In fact it was a right bi**ch to start as the primer pump decided not to pump. Gave it a hard smack and it worked again. Got it started but still hard to start when cold. ???

Comment

Originally posted by smurfL6 View Post
                Diesel cleaner and new filter didnt work so I dont think its injectors. In fact it was a right bi**ch to start as the primer pump decided not to pump. Gave it a hard smack and it worked again. Got it started but still hard to start when cold. ???
                Is the primer working OK? I have one here you can have for the cost of postage.

Comment

Hard to tell if its working ok, is there a way to test it? Thanks I would like the primer from you ( but i'll have to wait till friday payday) Can you keep it for me please..

Comment

Originally posted by smurfL6 View Post
                    Hard to tell if its working ok, is there a way to test it? Thanks I would like the primer from you ( but i'll have to wait till friday payday) Can you keep it for me please..

Yes no worries.

After about six pumps of the plunger, it'll start to get harder to pump. If it doesn't, or you have to pump it every time you need to start the engine, then the diaphram is split and is letting air into the fuel lines causing it to drain back to the tank and/or bad starting.

Comment

It could be that then, I pumped it a dozen times yesterday and it didnt go hard. During the day she will start but i'm pretty sure the primer is not hard and it can be pumped a couple of times...(I hope this will solve the problem) Thanks for your help

Comment

Did ya try what I wrote in post 5 ?
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                          If ya parked on a slope (facing uphill) try the opposite way round..to confirm ya Primmer pump is "US" n (not draining back) n as Vince says make sure ya Batteries are up !!
                          Good Luck
                          Always park facing downhill as our street is very steep. But problem happens when its parked up in town all day on the flat too !

Comment

You have mail

Comment

Bump

Comment

Working...
                              X