if anyone can help please do!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if anyone can help please do!

hi, i have a problem with my ln130, it doesnt start. well it only starts when oit wants to. it turn the key to start and it will start but once ive got to where i want to be and want to go home i turn the key and nothing, i have had the starter motor checked and i know it works becuse it does start but only when it wants to. the glow plugs work, the batteries are fine, everything works when it does start but its getting frustrating as there seems to be no pattern as to why one minute it starts and the next it doesnt. please if you have any ideas please share !!!
    thanks

If it starts sometimes and then the next time you get nothing it could still the starter (or connections to it) even if it works sometimes.
    The contacts might be failing.

That's what it was on mine and it gradually got worse and worse until I asked here and then got the rlevant bits order from Roughtrax (www.roughtrax4x4.com) and rebuilt it.

Are you auto or manual? If you have a manual put it in gear, rock it forward and backward (which will shift things about a bit) and try again (after depressing the clutch or taking it out of gear of course!), that will give you a good indication too as if it starts then that's most likely what it is. If you are auto then I'm not sure how you would check.

Anyway, check your connections first and if it still does it then take the starter apart and check the contacts, the kit comes with instructions and it's quite easy to do if that's what it appears to be.

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

hi and thankyou for your reply. it is a auto. have checked all connectors to starter and the starter itself also had a mechanic look nothing obvious but will try the starter kit and see if that works. my only problems is is that to get to the starter is a pain. is there any other way to get it out or is it a case of ripping everything out to get to it?

Comment

When you say you turn the key and nothing, what exactly do you mean ? when you turn the key are there even ignition lights on the dash ? Does it turn over at all but not start ? or does it make a clickng noise and not turn over ?

Comment

hi, all the lights come on, turn the key to start, glows go off, click start and nothing, zip, not even attempting to turn over. but sometimes in the same minute turn the key to start everything does as it should and it will start.

Comment

Try starting it in neutral. If it still doesn't start properly then it's the starter contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by 2005padams View Post
              hi, all the lights come on, turn the key to start, glows go off, click start and nothing, zip, not even attempting to turn over. but sometimes in the same minute turn the key to start everything does as it should and it will start.
              If it sometimes goes click when you turn the key and other times starts perfectly it is the contacts. Mine was dead at 200,000 (on the clock).

Comment

Starter motor contacts - trust me! We've seen this one so many times over the years.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                X