Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 - 3l head upgrade?

Hi all,

I’ve owned my 2.4 surf for a few months now and I’m really enjoying her but paranoia has started to kick in due to the much talked about 2.4 head problems.

There are quite a few posts on here already about this, so please forgive me for starting another, but what I want to ask -

1. Is there any way to tell if the head has already been done without receipts or any other documentation from previous owners?

2. If I discover it has not been done, would you recommend I get it done as a matter of urgency?

3. If I need to get it done, where can I buy the 3l head and relevant parts?

I should probably mention that there are 165000 miles on the clock and I have not had any problems with overheating etc so far (touch wood). I don’t drive like a maniac and I have her serviced regularly.

Thanks in advance for the help

1/ not really, quite often there is a very minor oil leak from gasket above the engine number, I've never seen this on an orginal head, and seen it on lots of replacement heads.

2/ nope, I'd leave it alone till it goes. If you check the coolant regularly (weekly at least) and before and after every long trip you will spot any problems easily. You shouldn't need to top it up, if it starts to lose coolant look for leaks or get it tested.

3/ lots of places, Roughtrax, The Engine Co, ebay, Milners, etc.....

There is little point worrying, keep the cooling system in good nick so it has no extra excuse to get hot, fit a AFT cooler if you tow heavy trailers, and the rest is in the lap of the Surf gods.

Above all check the coolant level regularly!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks very much for that Tony.

It's a great help and has put my mind at ease somewhat as I do have her serviced and checked regularly.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for asking what I was thinking. I do feel a bit of a numpty for not buying the 3.0l now. Is there ANY logic in the observation that if your truck has done 160k and not gone wrong, that it is a good 'un and will therefore not suffer from this.

Actually, don't answer that. I'm clinging to That hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Esilvester View Post
          Is there ANY logic in the observation that if your truck has done 160k and not gone wrong, that it is a good 'un and will therefore not suffer from this.
          No.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Oops!
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks for asking what I was thinking. I do feel a bit of a numpty for not buying the 3.0l now. Is there ANY logic in the observation that if your truck has done 160k and not gone wrong, that it is a good 'un and will therefore not suffer from this.

As Andy says, no, it doesn't quite work like that. Don't be too hard on yourself for purchasing a 2.4 though, the 3.0 is just as bad.
              En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                As Andy says, no, it doesn't quite work like that. Don't be too hard on yourself for purchasing a 2.4 though, the 3.0 is just as bad.
                Jeeze, here you go again! It absolutely so isn't, they go yes, just like any other engine. It's a fantastic engine that you can give loads more stick to than a 2.4

I've got our 3.0 near the red zone on many occasions, and it's still perfect after nearly 8 years of heavy trailers and offroading

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Jeeze, here you go again! It absolutely so isn't, they go yes, just like any other engine. It's a fantastic engine that you can give loads more stick to than a 2.4

I've got our 3.0 near the red zone on many occasions, and it's still perfect after nearly 8 years of heavy trailers and offroading

They'll all pop eventually, its just a matter of time
                  En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

I am looking for a Hiace, I would assume it's got the same head on the 2.4td as a 2.4 Hilux, and therefor would think it's worth concentrating on a D4D?

But then again a common rail has so much more electronics to break $£€ ....

Comment

Just reading all the responses and wondering; would it not make more sense to change the head before it goes rather than wait till it happens in the middle of a long trip?

thanks

Comment

The little boy's mother was off to market. She worried about her boy, who was always up to some mischief. She sternly admonished him, "Be good. Don't get into trouble. Don't eat all the cabbage. Don't spill all the milk. Don't throw stones at the cow. Don't fall down the well." The boy had done all of these things on other market days. Hoping to head off new trouble, she added, "And don't stuff beans up your nose!" This was a new idea for the boy, who promptly tried it out.

There`s a moral in there somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Chunga View Post
                          Just reading all the responses and wondering; would it not make more sense to change the head before it goes rather than wait till it happens in the middle of a long trip?

thanks
                          If you're planning on loads of big trips to other countries and you have a spare £1000 to do the head / rad / water pump / hoses etc then go for it for peace of mind.

If you're idea of a big trip is a 500 mile round trip then don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunga View Post

thanks
                            It doesn't normally 'just go'. Generally, it appears as part of a breakdown from an overheat, dodgy pump etc etc. In terms of inconvenience, you'd be broken down anyway so not a massive deal. Even if it does go, you can often let it cool right down refill the coolant and limp home anyway.

As Tony said, check the coolant weekly. If it seems to be going down and there are no leaks anywhere, then your head is probably on the way out and a sniffer test would be advisable.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had my head go in a big way in southern France and was still back at work the next day after a tow. I seem to recall someone's going in Spain and they managed to finish their holiday with a few cooling adaptations and some careful driving.

Cars break down all the time. If it's not the head, it's the battery, the alternator, the fuel pump etc. Unless you're planning on changing every component every year, just leave the head and treat it nicely.

Comment

Working...
                            X