Popping my surf cherry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping my surf cherry

I got my first surf in November and its been love at first sight. I'm not mechanically savvy and I have worried from day one about how I would cope when the time comes for me to lift the hood and fix something for real.

The time has come.

I have noticed some coolant leaking through the aircon rads, slightly to the driver's side. During an MOT it was mentioned that the radiator was shot, so that would be worth replacing.

I bought a second hand Rad from ebay, looks perfect - and spent some time on here, looking at all the threads and plucking up the courage to get in there and do this.

I got in there and did that. I'm dead chuffed. If swore a lot, stripped flesh off my arms but I have a smart new radiator. I flushed the whole thing out with some two part cleaner from halfrauds. It all went back ok and I don't even have any screws left over.

BUT - I still have the leak, darn it.

It does not appear to leak when cold, only when hot. Ideas welcomed.
    1991 LN130 2.4

did you replace the 2 coolant pipes an rad cap wen you swapped the rad??

Comment

I did, yes. It all looks dry on top, all hoses seem ship shape.

Comment

Run it up to temp open the bonnet and look, usually you'll see a fine spray where its coming from, if not the rad get the bash plate off, hit temp again and get under for a look. You'll only see it if its up to temperature but it could also be one of the hoses dripping every once in a while, run it to temperature again, wrap bog paper around the hose joins, let it run awhile and see which bit of tissue drops to bits when it gets removed. Replace all clips with proper jubilee clips too, the originals will be crappy and its false economy using old $hit. H

PS. if you still cant find it I'd then be looking at the water pump for leaks.
        Last edited by Hazzo; 11 March 2011, 09:26. Reason: FORGOT TO ADD

Comment

Top advice. I'll do that, thanks.
          I did change the clips to jubilee clips. I couldn't figure out how to compress the old clips to open without loosing a finger.

I'm hoping its not the water pump....

Comment

Even if it is, the good thing about these trucks imo, is apart from losing knuckles they're pretty easy to work on as far as timing belts/water pumps n fans are concerned so really saves money on mechanics/garage bills and there's loadsa info here and on the other sites. Don't be frightened by it just get stuck in. H

Comment

Hazzo- genius.

I pulled the ac rad down this morning and had another look at the lower radiator pipe. It's in three sections. The lower short rubber section had a shiny new jubilee clip but I did not touch the other end of it. I just missed it. Did that and leak sorted. Those clips really are useless. Thanks for advice.

Took the truck for a drive around some country lanes today and a muddy field, I can see why the surf has so many fans. Every bit as good as a landy off road but better on road and much more comfortable. I'm going to enjoy this!

Comment

Working...
              X