Major black smoke!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major black smoke!!

Until today, the surf has been great, always had a small puff of black smoke when starting from cold, but nothin unusual for a diesel. It was fine last nught too. Today, i went out, started the truck as normal, but got bellows of black smoke. Took it for a run, just to give it a clear out and it smokes like hell all the while. It cleared a bit after a mile or so, but still not completely.

I'm thinking injector maybe? Any advice? It just seems strange that its happened over night.

Could be the turbo?

Do you lose power at all?
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

No, don't seem to lose any power.

Comment

Could be a dribbling injector/s or dirty/restricted air intake.

Comment

I took the air filter out and it still smoked, but i was thinking injector, as is seems to be idling a little bit rough, but not crazy, just sounds a tiny but spluttery.

Comment

Could a stuck EGR cause this?

Also, is the smoke definitely black?

Lastly, is Major Black a friend of Colonel Mustard?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

No, but very friendly with mrs plum i hear!

I never thought of the egr. Could it being stuck cause it? If so, would blanking it solve the problem? Its definately black/dark grey smoke, i get a bit of white normally, while it warms up a bit, but that soon clears. If i throttle it in park/neutral at the mo, i can't see anything behind me! Its gone into defense mode, like a challenger 2!
              Last edited by fingers21; 21 February 2011, 19:49. Reason: Spelling. Stupid iphone!

Comment

Can you take a picture of the smoke at all?

If it's a serious amount of thick black smoke then it's liekly burning a lot of oil in which case I still think it may be turbo related? AT least that's what happened when my mate's Surf's turbo went.

Comment

I'll try and get a picture up. It is a serious amount of smoke for the first 5-10minutes, then it clears down a bit, but still smokes.

Off topic, i dont suppose you know a mr steven garlinge? He's a weymouth guy with a surf!

Comment

Not by name but I've probably seen him about.

A lot of Surf poeple see mine and remember it due to the roof rack and mods and then follow me to work as I sell power tools and nuts & bolts etc. which come in very handy for the Surfing fraternity so I've probably met him!

Comment

If you sell power tools, you'll have met him! I'll get that pic up today.

Comment

black smoke

hi iv got a 2.5 td hilux and it black smokes and i dun a fault code read on it and found out it has got a corection resistor gone in the diesel pump

Comment

Bushwacker hit the nail on the head, i had a dodgy injector. Its now sorted and running perfectly again.

Comment

Working...
                          X