Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak under front diff

Hi All.

I have a query and am wondering if anyone else has come across this. I recently found oil under the front diff casing on my friends 2.4TD.

I assumed it was a diff pinion seal, but this seems to be intact and serviceable. It also doesnt smell like gear oil, it has engine oil viscosity and smell. Ive had a look up round the oil filter housing and in that general area, and the filter is tight and seems sealed. The oil is running down (when viewed looking under front o/s wheel arch) to the left and slightly above the filter, but out of view. When looking down from the top, the leak is visually obscured by the turbo. Is there any pipework, oil feed pipes etc to the turbo in that area? Its quite difficult to see. I changed the oil on the Surf around two and a bit months ago, and my friend never checks the oil and I found the dipstick to be at min mark, so its used quite a bit in terms of leaking.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

The turbo oil feed and return pipes often leak when old or disturbed, they are above the oil filter.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      The turbo oil feed and return pipes often leak when old or disturbed, they are above the oil filter.

Cheers Tony,

Are they just standard banjo type unions on these pipes or "other"? Easy to access?

Comment

Working...
      X