very annoying squeek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very annoying squeek

my surf has developed a squeek, have taken back to garage where a mechanic has looked over it and cannot find anything wrong mechanically or otherwise, he seems to think its a dry bush or something like that and thinks it may stop whern the underside gets wet if the roads are wet, it seems to come from the middle of the body from underneath - has anybody had a similar squeek or knows what it is - no threads seem to have reported a similar problem.
    NO MORE TRUCK

the only sqeek that comes to mind is the bump stops. they tend to squeek when on hard lock attached is a pic
    Attached Files
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by thumper
      my surf has developed a squeek, have taken back to garage where a mechanic has looked over it and cannot find anything wrong mechanically or otherwise, he seems to think its a dry bush or something like that and thinks it may stop whern the underside gets wet if the roads are wet, it seems to come from the middle of the body from underneath - has anybody had a similar squeek or knows what it is - no threads seem to have reported a similar problem.

Oh when the roads are wet, best you pray for rain every day of the year then, preferably grease type rain, good cheap fix hope he didn't charge to much for that diagnosis.

When does it do it, under acceleration, over bumps, in gear, out of gear, braking etc will help to eliminate certain areas for a start.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

i have the same problem. the noise is not that loud but just loud enough to !!!! you off. it seems to be the chrome plastic trimming around the front headlight rubbing on something becuase i took the trimming off for a few days and didn't hear a thing. put it back on and there it was again, have learnt to live with it until i can be bothered fixing it.
        BRING ON THE MUD!!!!!

Comment

Hmmm, annoying squeek huh? I to have one coming from underneath, I've been under having a good grope but can't find owt that's loose, it is annoying!
          Need to grease it this weekend so hopefully will have another look and let you know what I find.

Laters....
          Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

annoying squeek/rattle

yes you guessed it surfers its now officailly a rattle aswell - b*****ks.

it is basically there all the time - except after a good run on the motorway say an hour at 70mph - the next time you are on town roads you dont notice it until maybe about 30kms later and it comes back, it generally goes at 45/50mph or that might just be engine noise,

thanks for the input will check out stuff and report back - the grease monkey didnt charge for the wet road diagnosis but hes got it back tomorrow so watch this space.

the only thing that i can find that rattles is the gear selector underneath or is it the 4wd selector.

anyway not to bothered about squeek at the moment the flames in the rear view mirror are keeping my mind of it!!!
            NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

Check the anti-roll bar bushes.

Could also be your suspension bushes if they have dried out, try a aerosol can of silicon oil over everything that moves underthere!

Torsion bar mounts (by gearbox crossmember) can also squeak.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I was given all sorts of serious suggestions on what might the clanging be on my front RHS but its only the 12mm nut missing from the bumper bolt accessed in the fwd wheel arch area

should be expensive though to get that seen to I reckon

Comment

Result

the annoying squeek/rattle turned out to be worn bushes on the gear selector.

thanks for all the replys
                  NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

Working...
                  X