Consequences to cracked head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consequences to cracked head

While I think my 2.4 has cracked the head. It has 150 000km on it now and the head has been previously replaced (100 000km). I'm the type of vehicle owner that checks all his fluids etc. daily. Yesterday morning I notice my excess coolant tank is almost empty. Start her up and sure enough white smoke on startup. Provided I keep all fluids topped up how long should I be looking at until it pressurizes the coolant system. I'm not planning on repairing it so ruining any thing else doesn't really bother me.

It depends how bad the crack is, its will only overheat when it runs out of coolant. I know people who have had cracked heads for ages, but because the truck was only used around town it rarely lost any water, so didn't loose much water so they didn't know it had even cracked untill the first long trip on a motorway when the truck then dumps all its water out the expansion tank then overheats.

You can tell if its been cracked for a while because the coolant eats away at the top of the bores over time.

If you keep it topped with coolant, it'll run for ages. The bigger the crack, the quicker it loses water, so if its only a hairline crack the truck will be quite usable. If the crack gets bigger, your distance before running out of coolant gets shorter.

Sad its only lasted 30k miles, thats nothing, I don't of any that I have done that have recracked (well one, but it was obviously faulty cos it was only a couple of thousand miles) and replaced it and it then went on for 4 years, did another 80K miles as a builders truck before rest of truck fell apart.

Its not worth pulling the head off to check its not just a badly fitted gasket? Even orginal design heads should last longer than that.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Drove it a good 100 miles today. Truck is pretty much cool now. The rad is full and the excess tank is where it should be hmmmmm. I'll get a sniffer test done this week to confirm. Again, thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X