Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problems

Got A 89 Surf Just Spent £1700 On A New Head Plus Recon Turbo Now Its No Starting As Well As It Did , It Goes Eventually With A Puff Of White Smoke Then Runs Okay.
    Starts From Hot Ok Getting To End Of My Tether And Cash Dont Want To Get Rid But Its A Possibility Any Advice
    Help Please
    Da

Originally posted by DEREK ALLAN
    Got A 89 Surf Just Spent £1700 On A New Head Plus Recon Turbo Now Its No Starting As Well As It Did , It Goes Eventually With A Puff Of White Smoke Then Runs Okay.
    Starts From Hot Ok Getting To End Of My Tether And Cash Dont Want To Get Rid But Its A Possibility Any Advice
    Help Please
    Da

it sounds like the old glow plug wrongly wired syndrome. Most common problem is the wiring/washer assembly to the bus bar of the glow plugs, check the 80A fuse for the glow plugs.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

i bought my surf a few weeks ago,new heater plugs had been put in it for the previous owner.last weekend went to galway and back about 300 miles.next morning surf took ages to start but started fine after that when hot same thing next morning ages to start from cold.checked glow plug fuse, was blown.had a look at glow plug connections,the spade terminal that pushes on had worked itself loose and earthed off the engine this is why it blew the fuse.mine had no plastic insulation on it just a bare metal connecter.i cut wire and put new insulated spade connecter on it and wrapped it all up with insulating tape.its working fine now(changed the fuse obviously)if your fuse is gone just make sure you find what is blowing it before you change fuse.hope this is some help.

Comment

Hiya

I'm no expert on things mechanical, but had starting problems for ages. It was ok when warm but wouldn't start after it had been left a few hours.Tried the usual glow plugs, fuse, battery etc.

In the end when in Halfords buying him some pressies, I got him a fuel injector cleaner treatment and an oil treatment for sticky valves and hes been sweet since - that was over a month ago and hes been fine.

Hope this helps

Julie

Comment

Starting Problems

Many thanks to all who replied , it was the glow plug fuse that was blown , replaced it and it blew again , car back in garage to find out where its earthing off, hopefully easy enough to sort but we,ll see
          cheers
          DA

Comment

Re

Hi all!

This may be a dopey post but my 2.4 SSRG is doing the same now!

Can anyone tell me where to find the glow plug fuse and also how to check to see if it is a dirty/clogged fuel filter!

I just don't know my way around the engine at all!

Thanks!

Later!

Gary

Comment

the fuse for the glow plugs is in the fuse/relay box behind the battery on the right hand side(if your surf has two batteries).its an 80 amp fuse.better off just changing your filter if you think its dirty,when you have the filter off see if it looks dirty or rusty or has water in it.
              you could also have a diesel leak back problem
              Last edited by kevb; 6 July 2004, 18:24.

Comment

Re

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Just had a look to discover, to my amazement, that there was no fuse there!

It was missing!

The light on the dash has never been there either, I just put this down to a blown bulb!

The guy who sold me the car told me that!

He said "count to 30"!

Any advice on where I can get a fuse please, come to think of it any advice at all would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Later!

gary

Comment

most motor factors should stock this type of fuse/any toyota main dealer should have them.with the glow plug fuse they dont just pull out they are connected to the wires by 10 mm and 8mm bolts(spanner sizes).

Comment

Working...
                  X