Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheat yes yet another one!

A plague on the head gasket designer at Toyota

New rad on Monday fitted - cool still overheating and the AA man says the head gasket has gone. His test kit chaged colour and showed combustion gasses in the coolant

Starting to get very ****ed with this already. Got rid of my Rangie as it was always in the shop.

Any numbers for a place to get the gasket appeciated as I need to get ths fixed ASAP as it is my main car. Oh well have to use the bike tomorrow

AJP
    2.4 TD Surf
    ZRX 1100
    KZ 750 Chop

1st thing is to have the head pressure tested. no one has had head gasket go as far as im aware its usually the head thats cracked
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

My head gasket was in perfect condition when mine went, had the usual cracks on the head though, pull it apart and if the head is cracked you should be able to see it anyway, it will most likely be cracked between the two valves in a cylinder or more than one cylinder.If you like the spanners it isnt too hard as far as cylinder head replacements go, just very heavy!!!! i would say including building the new head and re-shimming it is probably 2 days work but that was without a workshop manual to help me. Cost was about £600 inc. service parts.
      Good luck!!!

P.S. I think Milners are supposed to be quite good and it comes as a complete head with cam installed so just bolt straight on!!! I think there is a link to them somewhere on here
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys it goes to the garage tomorrow :-( this is going to be expensive!

I would do it my self but no time spare. Need to finish and sell a bike to pay for this!

Comment

Hi guys. My surf is overheating, surprise surprise, and I want to check the thermostat. I don't have a manual so any ideas on where the thermo is and how to remove it. Many thanks
          Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by wdavie
            Hi guys. My surf is overheating, surprise surprise, and I want to check the thermostat. I don't have a manual so any ideas on where the thermo is and how to remove it. Many thanks
            Wayne

its under/in the rad cap housing three bolts from memory
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Head / head gasket update

As ever you guys were right - head cracked
              No thermostat fitted - so the garge claimed

Work being done today, with luck.

Straight question here guys when the work has been done will it crack again? If i am being left with another money pit of a car I will need to know as teh good lady wife will be most not happy with me

AJP

Comment

some early 2.4's had a design fault on the head which COULD lead to a crack or two. provided the garage gives you a new not reconditioned head , there should be no more head probs.
                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by AJP
                  As ever you guys were right - head cracked
                  No thermostat fitted - so the garge claimed

Work being done today, with luck.

Straight question here guys when the work has been done will it crack again? If i am being left with another money pit of a car I will need to know as teh good lady wife will be most not happy with me

AJP
                  The 'straight' answer is it could do. Mine did, and there have been others, but the VAST MAJORITY have been fine. You've got a new rad already, get the viscous fan checked too. Mine lasted 15 months, then I had to get the engine re-built as the block was at fault too, so providing youre block is good, it should be fine. Theres a thread of mine from a while back called 'Heads I lose', do a search for it.
                  Pete

Comment

same here, still ridin mine though.....any way, my head went, cost me a packet, if yours is an import then PLEEEZE get a uk spec fluid coupling link, the rad needs to be 4 core to, otherwise you will get overheating probs again, & again, toyota have them for £150 ish quid if you want to know more e-mail

Comment

86% of 2.4 owners have had no probs with their head, fitted with the standard rad. TONYN's head has definately gone though LOL
                      Last edited by marky; 12 July 2004, 22:43.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        86% of 2.4 owners say their Surfs prefer Pedigree Chum......

help
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi
                          After 4 Cracks On My 2.4, Got My 2l Engine Fixed With A 3l Head.
                          It Realy Works Great Beter Than 2l Head , I Hope No Problems With Overheating Again Because Looks Ok.i Got Imported Head Full With Valves And Injectors Ready Just Removed Cracked Head And Fixed 3l Head, That Simple And Away..........within Hours.
                          It Cost Me Only $300 For The Head And $50 Labour, Thats Awsome,what Do U Guys Think Of It??????

For Now I Am Very Happy With My Ssr 2.4td 92

Comment

Originally posted by mbba
                            Hi
                            After 4 Cracks On My 2.4, Got My 2l Engine Fixed With A 3l Head.
                            It Realy Works Great Beter Than 2l Head , I Hope No Problems With Overheating Again Because Looks Ok.i Got Imported Head Full With Valves And Injectors Ready Just Removed Cracked Head And Fixed 3l Head, That Simple And Away..........within Hours.
                            It Cost Me Only $300 For The Head And $50 Labour, Thats Awsome,what Do U Guys Think Of It??????

For Now I Am Very Happy With My Ssr 2.4td 92
                            It's good, no one seems to have done it yet here in the UK, but in Aus. its the favorite option for the 2.4
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                            X