Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump setting

Hi all,

I have read alot of threads regarding the fuel pump adjustment screw and most of them are about making it run richer. I have had my 1992 2.4 ln130 for 2 months now and since buying the vehicle it has had dark grey smoke coming out the back. I think it had a turbo problem for a while before I bought it as I have since fitted a second hand turbo, after fitting this the vehicle spluttered at low revs and didn't feel right when boost came in and through all this it smoked quite alot. Today I found out how to adjust the fuel pump and turned it anti-clockwise as I thought it was runnig rich, I turned it 1 1/2 times and now she is running brilliantly and it looks like the she has quit smoking aswell. Will running the truck lean cause any damage? I have heard loads about the sensitive heads on the these vehicles and don't want to cause any damage. Thanks!

where is this screw ???

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ghlight=clicks

Comment

One and a half turns sounds like a lot?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Reads like the recommend amount was in this pic.

Might have a little try at this before work, if it stops raining.

peace
          cal
          Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Ok had a little play with this, not a difficult job. Top off the air filter moved it with the pipe back out of the way, nudged a couple of flexi pipes out of the way, thimble was on solid, little twist with long pliers and then pulled it off finger and thumb, very shiny and clean under it. 10mm socket and extension release the locking nut, then marked where the slot in the bolt thread was pointing. I could feel mine clicking, ever so subtle but there, made 6 clicks. Locked it all down again and out for a spin.

Blimey! defiantly more poke, went up a few long hills and temp "seems" as before.
            In traffic up to 30 far easier with less loud pedal, and coming off the gas when cruising on the flat at 50-60. Seems to change gear more smoothly too.

Due a fill up this week I'll log the MPG best I can.

peace
            cal

Comment

Originally posted by Calos View Post
              Ok had a little play with this, not a difficult job. Top off the air filter moved it with the pipe back out of the way, nudged a couple of flexi pipes out of the way, thimble was on solid, little twist with long pliers and then pulled it off finger and thumb, very shiny and clean under it. 10mm socket and extension release the locking nut, then marked where the slot in the bolt thread was pointing. I could feel mine clicking, ever so subtle but there, made 6 clicks. Locked it all down again and out for a spin.

Blimey! defiantly more poke, went up a few long hills and temp "seems" as before.
              In traffic up to 30 far easier with less loud pedal, and coming off the gas when cruising on the flat at 50-60. Seems to change gear more smoothly too.

Due a fill up this week I'll log the MPG best I can.

peace
              cal
              which way did u tune the screw mate the guy in this tread said anti clockwise but the other thread says clockwise???
              1992 hilux surf ssr-x 2.4 auto 2nd gen LN130

http://cornishhostingcompany.co.uk/support/aff.php?aff=005

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
                which way did u tune the screw mate the guy in this tread said anti clockwise but the other thread says clockwise???
                I'm the guy that turned it anti clockwise, I turned it this way because I learnt through the forum that anti clockwise makes it run lean. alot of people want there surf to go faster and turn it clockwise, I just wanted mine to stop smoking and run smoother. It is running better now except the smoke has changed colour and is now white(not alot though), I'm going to turn it clockwise a touch tomorrow and see if it reduces the white smoke. I have spent more time working on this truck since I've had it then driving it, reading through this forum though it seems I'm not the only one though. Still love her though.

Comment

I'm the guy that turned it anti clockwise, I turned it this way because I learnt through the forum that anti clockwise makes it run lean. alot of people want there surf to go faster and turn it clockwise, I just wanted mine to stop smoking and run smoother. It is running better now except the smoke has changed colour and is now white(not alot though), I'm going to turn it clockwise a touch tomorrow and see if it reduces the white smoke. I have spent more time working on this truck since I've had it then driving it, reading through this forum though it seems I'm not the only one though. Still love her though.

Comment

I went clockwise, as in the pic I lifted from the other thread, actually seemed to smoke less on the way home tonight had a car behind me, deliberately floored it to see if it smoked in his/her head lights and it smoked less than it used to. oO

peace
                    cal

Comment

Originally posted by Calos View Post
                      I went clockwise, as in the pic I lifted from the other thread, actually seemed to smoke less on the way home tonight had a car behind me, deliberately floored it to see if it smoked in his/her head lights and it smoked less than it used to. oO

peace
                      cal
                      yeah c thats what i thought it should be clockwise but always a good idea to check ill do that 2mrrw and let u know how i get on thanx mate
                      1992 hilux surf ssr-x 2.4 auto 2nd gen LN130

http://cornishhostingcompany.co.uk/support/aff.php?aff=005

Comment

Ok little update from me, truck running great still, no increase in temp (measuring top of rad/head with IR temp sensor) after a good run 20 miles of motorway and some long hills.
                        Fuel economy improved? or unchanged got an extra 82km out a full tank over last time, note last tank involved a day at Bala so most likely actually unchanged.

I also did the washer mod on the turbo,(only two bolts on my actuator though) this again adds a little more oomph at junctions and allows for actual over taking oO.

All in all really quite pleased, truck feels more like a 3ltr and certainly not under powered; ok it's never gonna be like a LexSurf but definately better.

peace
                        cal

Comment

Working...
                        X