Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie questions

Hi
    I have had my surf a couple of weeks now and is a pleasurable experience !!

Please could someone tell me what this cable does at the back of the throttle cable assembly does . Mine is loose . It is still attached , but it does not seem to be returning. Is this correct ?

I have attached a couple of photos.

Also if I engage 4 wheel drive stationary or moving , the 4wheel indicator on the dash comes on and then goes off. Some one told me this is normal operation , is this correct ?

Regards

Bob
    Attached Files

i would presume its the kickdown cable for the gearbox
    welcome by the way
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Auto transmission kickdown cable. If the transmission is operating ok the cable should be ok but if not look here for adjustment.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...kickdown+cable

4WD light should stay on if in 4WD. Sounds like it is not working.

Nev

Comment

After some investigation

Hi
        Thanks for the replies.

The kickdown cable is firmly stuck in its fully extended state and not returning..so a trip to the mechanics will be next option.

When the button on the 4wd lever is pushed in. I can hear relays clicking the light on the dash comes on and then goes off. If I do this with the engine not running I can hear a low level thud from the front , I dont know if this means it has attempted to engage or has any bearing on the problem.

More investigation needed I think.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Bob

Comment

The engine needs to be running to allow vacuum to build up. You only get about three pushes of the 4wd button before the stored vacuum is depleted.

If the kickdown cable fails to return, is usually caused by fraying of the cable where it enters the transmision.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/add.htm

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24table.htm
          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 30 August 2010, 16:24.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies..

I have decided to get the surf looked at by someone with more mechanical skills than me . I have virtually no mechanical skills whatsoever

Regards

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by g0pey View Post
              Thanks for all the replies..

I have decided to get the surf looked at by someone with more mechanical skills than me . I have virtually no mechanical skills whatsoever

Regards

Bob

Be sure to look in the recommended garages list, most garages have no idea how a Surf works!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/fo...c&daysprune=-1

Comment

Thanks BUSHWHACKER for those links.

With regards to the four wheel drive problem. Using the information on the Australian site I thought I would "experiment" . I disconnected the vacuum hose from the disengage VSV ( the blue one ) . I then selected 4wd and the light came on the dash and stayed on. I then reconnected the vacuum hose back up to the disengage VSV and the 4wd light went out. So I suppose I am getting closer to finding the problem

From the circuits on the Australian site, it seems to suggest that if that dash light comes on then you must be in 4wd. But I did not feel it engage or anything else. Not ever owning a 4wd before , I dont know if you should .

your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by g0pey View Post
                  With regards to the four wheel drive problem. Using the information on the Australian site I thought I would "experiment" . I disconnected the vacuum hose from the disengage VSV ( the blue one ) . I then selected 4wd and the light came on the dash and stayed on. I then reconnected the vacuum hose back up to the disengage VSV and the 4wd light went out. So I suppose I am getting closer to finding the problem
                  Blue VSV engages 4WD, Brown disengages. Should be power and vacuum to blue VSVwith the button in and power and vacuum to the brown VSV when the button is out.

Make sure hoses are connected as per diagram. They should have the vacuum supply connected to end port on VSVs and the inner port should be connected to the actuator on the front diff.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                  X