Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on turbo removal wanted

Hi All,

I am finally in the process of replacing the turbo, and just want to check if I am missing any useful tips!

Wasn't planning on sticking the unit I rebuilt on just yet, but seeing as the alternator exploded, it kind of brought forward some work on the truck!

Anyhow... I have got the AC pump & alternator off, and have removed the 4x turbo/manifold nuts, and the 4x turbo/elbow nuts.

The elbow/downpipe bolts don't look very accessible, so I am going for the exhaust clamp low down on the gearbox, and the one under the passenger footwell, in the hope this will allow enough wiggle at the turbo end to unhook things.

However, the gearbox exhausty clamp still seems to be one of those 1/8 of a turn at a time jobbies...

Any thoughts appreciated !

Cheers

Ian

OK, seeing as no one had any more thoughts, I'll fill in on what I found...

Seems you only need to slacken the gearbox/downpipe clamp enough to allow the heat shield to move, as there's a flexi pipe inside, then the elbow can be prissed away from the turbo, and the turbo lifted off - Hurrah !

(Alternatively, the downpipe has developed a honking great split which made it easy to bend )
    Last edited by Spagley; 30 July 2010, 18:18.

Comment

Working...
    X