Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear changes strange

Can anyone shed any light on this problem:
    Runs Ok on the flat but when going up hill gears keep searching for the right gear - so keep changing up then down while the car gets slower and slower. On very steep hills, soon comes to a stop and shifting to 2nd or Low gear has no effect.
    When at speeds of 50 or so, going up moderate hills is ok but gears and revs still keep shifting up and down.
    Sometimes it runs fine. It's a 1993 Hilux 2.4 automatic.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Check ATF level / condition.

Levels should be checked while engine is running and fluid should be a red colour.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Thanks, will do as suggested.

Comment

My 3.0l is doing something similar and I don't think it is gearbox related as I;ve just had fluid changed.

My current thought is that the engine doesn't have all the power it should, probably due to the turbo not working properly so it keeps changing down to find more power. It even tries changing to second at 60mph then goes into red and quickly changes its mind. I just don't think it has the torque it should so investigating problems with the turbo boost sensor vac hoses.

Comment

If its not the ATF are you having any other problems with the gears?
          The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

On mine it occassionally holds first too long when only using light throttle but I don't really think its a problem. As in when you're accelerating slowly instead on changing to second quite quickly it somehow occassionally holds too long so I have to ease off to change gear.

But I think the box is basically working fine changing up and down according to the speed I want to go but the engine doesn't seem to have the power available.

not sure if it is the same for ifd66?

Comment

Wont know till he gets back on i guess but if his isnt even holding to the gear pattern i.e correct gear for speed/revs etc ...must be something up with the gear selection ....with yours im sure its something to do with the vac tubes / sensor if everything else seems ok...did you have a chance to look at all yet?

Comment

Not today. Unfortunately at work all day (still have time for this though!)

When I looked yesterday just got more confused. I'll try again tonight.

Comment

Haha aye know what you mean. The bit that you are after is quite easy to find, just have a look at that pic apache put up before you have a gander at the engine and you will find it straight away.

Comment

Just had a thought ..... maybe tps?

Comment

Working...
                    X