Diesel Leak and Oil Pressure Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Leak and Oil Pressure Gauge

Thought I would roll 2 questions into one here...

Firstly, I have seemed to have developed an odd diesel leak.
    Just to remind those who don't know I have been running 50/50 mix of veg oil and diesel for probably the last 3/4 weeks now.
    I noticed it the other day when I pulled out of a parking space their was a little puddle of diesel.
    When the truck was having its oil changed today, whilst in the garage on tickover the diesel was literally p*ssing out. Stopped the truck, changed the oil, restarted - no more diesel leak.
    Seems its an intermittant type problem. It seems to be coming from the area below the fuel filter, but not the fuel filter.
    Anyone have any idea what this might be? Could it be the pump? Could it be related / brought on by the veg oil mix?
    Is it likely to go big time do you think?

Secondly, I had the oil pressure gauge changed a while ago as it was leaking oil. When the garage did this they forgot to put the sensor wire back on, so for the last 3 months or so I have had no gauge reading. Today it was put back on when the oil filter was changed. When I start up the gauge goes right up past the high pressure end of the scale, but then while running falls and falls untils its sat right on the low end of the scale. Do you think its a dodgy sender unit? It was working fine with the leaking gauge.

Cheers guys and gals
    CM
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Adding vegoil to the diesel can unsettle the sludge that has collected in the fuel tank, the fuel lines etc. It is possible that your fuel filter has become partially blocked.

Regarding the oil pressure, I read fairly low oil pressure on startup and the pressure increases as the engine warms up. With new oil the pressure comes up to the high end of the normal range fairly quckly. The only time it stays in the high area of normal is when cruising at motorway speeds and when the engine is under load. At tickover it goes back to the lower end.
    I hope this is helpful.

I'm sure someone more qualified than me will be able to give you exactly the info you are looking for.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
      Adding vegoil to the diesel can unsettle the sludge that has collected in the fuel tank, the fuel lines etc. It is possible that your fuel filter has become partially blocked.

Regarding the oil pressure, I read fairly low oil pressure on startup and the pressure increases as the engine warms up. With new oil the pressure comes up to the high end of the normal range fairly quckly. The only time it stays in the high area of normal is when cruising at motorway speeds and when the engine is under load. At tickover it goes back to the lower end.
      I hope this is helpful.

I'm sure someone more qualified than me will be able to give you exactly the info you are looking for.
      thanks phil, will change the fuel filter, see if that makes a difference as I have a spare anyways.
      Re the pressure gauge, its not working at all, just instead of before when the wire wasn't connected it would just sit on the low end.
      Now when I start it goes right up to max at the high and, then slowely drops right back to dead on the low end......
      2 Tone Mud Master!
      http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

At a guess i would say you have the wrong pressure sender fitted, mine sits at about a quarter (hot engine idling) and rises to max 3/4 under heavy load, normal driving it sits in the centre of the range.
        Check the pipe joints to and from the filter and change the filter as well.
        Hope you get it solved!!
        If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
        I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X