tappets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tappets?

without me ripping the rocker cover off are the valve followers hydraulic???

mine are getting a bit noisy and thinking about changing them...

anyone done this and anyone know of a reasonably priced supplier of the followers?

many thanks.. russell

Hi
    Assuming you have a 2.4 it will have solid shimmed cam buckets, they are not adjustable, when they wear you have to measure the gap on each cam lobe, remove cam, fit new shims of the corect size, replace cam, job done, probably about 4 hours work if you can get acces to a surface grinder.
    If its a 3.0 i have just wasted the last few minutes typing LOL.
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

yep sorry it is the 2.4...

seems like a easy enough job but no havent got a surface grinder to hand tho... have you?? lol

can ya pop it round since my workshop is in wickford ....

Comment

I never got around to installing a surface grinder in my garage LOL but i know a man who does have one and although he usually only works on race engines i may be able to persuade him to grind some shims up for you, although it will mean you measuring and then working out what sizes you need!! Will drop you a PM with my mob no. if you need a hand??

Comment

all help greatly appreciated.. ya necer know i may have some machinery that may help him....

Comment

What help was that?

Comment

tappets on a 2.4lt or lte dont get noisy (tappety sound) as they wear the tappet clearance just gets smaller resulting in poor running when hot.tappet clearance is there so that when the valve heats up its not held open by camshaft,(metal expands when heated).thats why your exhaust valve tappet clearance is bigger than your inlet valve tappet clearance.(exhaust valve has heat from combustion and exhaust gas heat in contact with it when the valve is open.inlet valve has heat from combustion but when open has relatively cool air in contact with it on induction stroke.)
              tappet clearance inlet valve:-10 thou/0.25mm
              exhaust valve:-18 thou/0.40mm

Comment

so what would you say the rattle is then,,, worn cam shaft.. this top end noise is a commoner so i see on the 2.4 as i have serviced 3 2.4 surf's recently and all have this same noise from the head when held at constant revs above 2 k....

the sound is very similar to knackered hydraulic tappets,

Comment

You're supposed to adjust the valve clearances at 100,000KM which is probably around the average mileage for a Japanese imported Surf.

Another one of those things that nice man in the used car place forgot to mention... The consequences of not adjusting the valve clearances tend to be expensive in the long run.

Comment

My Surf produces a rattle if you hold the revs steady between 2-3k but it has a brand new head, cam was ok, tappet clearances all spot on, new cambelt, new cam bearings. there is nothing worn on my head to produce a rattle but the noise is there, i would suggest it is perhaps a little bit of diesel knock, pump timing wont be set for no-load conditions so i doubt the fuelling will be too clever.If you drive it under load is there a rattle there????? mine never rattles under load!!!!
                    SEM, where in wickford is your workshop, you say you have recently serviced 3 surfs???? will pop in one day and say hello
                    Last edited by Smurf; 27 June 2004, 14:54.

Comment

quote;-so what would you say the rattle is then,,, worn cam shaft.. this top end noise is a commoner so i see on the 2.4 as i have serviced 3 2.4 surf's recently and all have this same noise from the head when held at constant revs above 2 k....

the sound is very similar to knackered hydraulic tappets,

to be honest i dont know.ive worked on at least 20 or 30 hiaces (2l engine) and ive never seen a camshaft wear.

Comment

smurf, my workshop is on andersons ind estate on lower park road which is opposite the bp station,

the tapping noise is current with load and no load situations, and the vehicle is now at 119k so well in need of some adjustment i assume, my experience with shimmed followers in general are they do from time to time need re shimming as the top of the followers and cam lobe wear and there is no mechanical difference to make up the gap to bring it within the correct clearence so tapping does happen.. this is very particular on lancia/fiat twin cams as they need re shiming every 50k miles ,

guess its time to just whip the rocker cover off and have a lookie,, will let ya know any findings..

Comment

A Tapping noise that sounds like tappets can sometimes be the engine running incorrectly due to worn injectors. Weeping injectors can sometimes cause a level of pre-ignition - i.e. ignition of the diesel before the correct time - especially when hot. The noise that this causes can be mistaken for tappets.

Cheers

Comment

I will pop in some time, i presume you have a kettle???? LOL

Comment

Quote:-tappets on a 2.4lt or lte dont get noisy (tappety sound) as they "wear" the tappet clearance just gets smaller resulting in poor running when hot

just to clarify what i meant when i said they "wear"
                              - the valves are opening and closing all the time, where the valves close against its seat this is where the valve face and valve seat wear, which in turn makes the valve stem protrude more in the head, which in turn makes the clearance between the shim and camshaft smaller.

tell us what clearances you get?

Comment

Working...
                              X