smoking juddernaught when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking juddernaught when cold

When I'm starting the cold 2L-TE I have to turn the ignition on and off 2-3 times. After that it starts well, but it judders for couple of seconds, smokes a lot (black smoke, no new pope) and leaves soot right underneath the exhaust. Once the engine is warm it has no problems with starting, hard to tell if it still smokes heavily while going up a hill or sth - I still can see what's behind me, so I guess not.
    Had glow plugs and air filter replaced month ago, tried the Irish version of Redex, but not at 1 bottle:1/4 tank ratio, will have to do that. Starting has been an issue since I bought her (6 months ago), have spotted soot for the first time about 2 months ago, so these could be two different things. Fuel efficiency's poor too - 20mpg.
    Any hint what may be the problem? Just clogged injectors, or something more serious?

probably find the glow plugs need changing or test the glowplug relay and the main fuse under the bonnet
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hmm, had them glow plugs replaced a month ago, you think they can be faulty even thou they were new?
      Also, this morning after the engine started I've revved it to 1500 rpm for a while - far less smoke was spewed and soot left on the ground than usual.

Comment

when was the fuel filter and air filter last changed

Comment

20mpg is not poor for a Surf.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

i did about 110m saturday morning and never used a drop

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              when was the fuel filter and air filter last changed
              Air filter last month, waiting for fuel filter to arrive from UK, will probably take forever due to the ash could.

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              20mpg is not poor for a Surf.
              I know, but as I was searching for an answer I saw someone bragging about mpg increasing from 20 to 25. Would be nice

Comment

check the glow plug relay on the inner wing and the 80amp fuse in the main fuse box under the bonnet aswell

Comment

I can hear the relay clicking, so it's fine I guess, but will take a look, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by fc_pl View Post
                    I can hear the relay clicking, so it's fine I guess, but will take a look, thanks.
                    There's a glow plug timer too, but I can't remember where it is.

25mpg from a 2.4 Surf would be really nice, 20mpg is good. Mine averaged 18mpg over 2 years.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

ive resisted posting in any of these starting issue threads purely as there are so many of them but i feel i need to now.

when i got my 2.4 it started daily without hitch. no smoke, no judder, no problems.

immediatley after i swapped the head it got starting problems right away. takes ages to turn over, almost spins up to speed then ignites rather than just turn -> ignite -> and start.

when the head was replaced i took the glow plugs from my old head which had been fine (100% as it started within a turn up until the very day i removed the head) and put them in the replacement so i ruled them out and figured my starting problems were a result of dirty injectors that came in the replacement head.

i intend on removing the injectors from my old head and fitting them mbut think its time i replaced the plugs too just to be safe.

can i pick them up in halfords or similar?
                      i want to replace them this weekend and think i might be a bit late in ordering online. just need to know what to get in case i need to get them from a factors or something.

thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X