Turbo not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo not working

Hi everyone, this is my first post - I'm new to surfs and mechanics - so learning slowly!

Anyway, the turbo on my 2.4 ssrx 1992 surf has not worked sine the day after I bought it!

I took it to the garage who said it needed a new inlet pipe, which I fitted. I also noticed a split oil pipe which I sorted out with a jubilee clip.

The turbo sounds like it's whistling, but it's not kicking in. Having said that, it could be the new air filter the guy put on before he sold it - some boy racer type thing.

Any suggestions as to where to start and what to look for when I go exploring under the hood would be very much appreciated!!

Could be something simple as a disconnected vacuum pipe, one of the small diameter rubber pipes that connect onto the inlet manifold under the throttle body.
    There's a short 'J' shaped pipe directly below the throttle body where the silver inlet ducting connects onto it. Oil sometimes drips on it and it swells and falls off or gets knocked off.

Also, the turbo pressure sensor, on the inner wing near the power steering fluid reservoir, has the same type rubber pipe/hose connecting to it from the same area described above. If either of these pipes are not connected up then you'll have no turbo boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete144144 View Post
      The turbo sounds like it's whistling, but it's not kicking in. Having said that, it could be the new air filter the guy put on before he sold it - some boy racer type thing.
      Did he happen to remove the original air filter box and in so doing remove the turbo sensor which is attached to it?

Nev

Comment

Bottom of this pic.

Nev

Comment

Pete if you get stuck then give Lee (supersurf) a shout as he is in Mutley in Plymouth so he should be able to help you out
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks guys, Ill be looking at it tommorow.

Comment

Dear all

Thanks for replying to this post.

Had a look today and it was the pipe coming from the turbo sensor. All back in working order!

Thanks again

Comment

Well done Pete.Your parts will be with you soon
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                X