Over Heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Heating

1992 2.4 td ssr-x over heating but only on hills put the heater on and the temp. will stop going up bought it in january and ran it through the winter with no problem (Had the heater on ) Then came the warm weather and the heater went of and started 2 over heat. Had a new raidator fitted (at a cost 2 me ) as the garage only gave me 1 months warinty.
    do u think its the head?

Originally posted by Sandstorm
    1992 2.4 td ssr-x over heating but only on hills put the heater on and the temp. will stop going up bought it in january and ran it through the winter with no problem (Had the heater on ) Then came the warm weather and the heater went of and started 2 over heat. Had a new raidator fitted (at a cost 2 me ) as the garage only gave me 1 months warinty.
    do u think its the head?
    iam sure that you have a 3 month warranty by law others will correct me if iam wrong, are there any other symptoms, poss there could just be an air lock check that first. have a look on the search there,s loads to read on this subject.....
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Yep, 90 day warranty by law!!!!!!!
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandstorm
        do u think its the head?
        wait 'til it's warmed up, stop the engine, try to spin the fan, it should be v stiff, or locked.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Also try disconnecting the wire from the electric fan sender on the side of the thermostat housing. The electric fan in front of the rad should kick in straight away. It was !!!!!! awkward to disconnect on mine, because one of the retaining clips is on the bottom of the connector, but now I have broken it it is no problem. Might be time for a new thermostat?
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Doubt its the head as it would do it all the time not just under load. How much stuff eg lights number plate etc have you got in front of the rad. The symptons you describe sound like not enough air is going through the rad when under load, I have the same (as have others) that after off roading and the rad is partially blocked with mud that under load, hills, high speeds the temp gauge goes up. Slow down or put heaters on and it drops, once the rad is cleared it is fine. Could be an air lock as well. As said as well, test the viscous fan, maybe not effective when needed.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

ok disconected the wire from the thermostat and fan comes on (but not heard it come on normaly) how does this fan work? Allso taken out the thermostat out wen i got a new radiator does the thermostat controle the electric fan? allso a lot of oil on the block going in the garage 4 a head check next week.

Comment

Thermostat

Hi
                If you remove a thermostat that in its self can cause overheating, as the coolant does not stay in the rad long enough to be cooled, if you are worried about a stuck thermo the remove the center section of the thermo,and reinstall it this will ensure that the coolant flow is slowed enough to keep the engine from overheating! Ive done this on stock cars and it works well, if you remove a thermo on most models/cars it WILL OVER HEAT every time!!!
                The oil on the block could be from the Viscos fan, and the fan locks up when it feels heat from the rad, if the oil leaked out the the fan will not lock up and cool your engine
                Nick
                Edmonton
                Canada
                91 4Runner 2L powered/soon to be 2LT
                Last edited by Nick; 17 June 2004, 18:37.

Comment

Working...
                X